• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

NE58H9970WS Samsung induction range not holding oven temperature

paaschjc

Premium Member
Model Number
NE58H9970WS
Brand
Samsung
I have the NE58H9970WS samsung induction range. Bought March 2016. Oven hasn't worked properly since we bought it. Preheats fine to lets say 425. You then put food in it and temp drops to 350 because door was opened. It quickly regains to about 378 and then just starts dropping again all the way to 350 and after one hour, it has only come back up to 358. We've already replaced the main control board, the sensor and the lower heating element but the problem remains. I can hear the clicking telling the heating element to come on and then it seems to click again right away to turn it back off. The heating element does come on but only for a moment and then gets turned off again. Service technicians can't figure it out.
This does not appear to be a problem at lower temperatures of let's say 325 or 350.
Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Also, where could I get a service manual for this model?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
OK, this oven is less than a year old so I assume Samsung is attempting to repair it under the first year warranty. So you're saying the service technicians can't find the problem? If that's the case, you should have some options. Most service techs agree Samsung and LG are the two worst appliance manufactures today. If Samsung can't fix it they have to replace it, correct??

paaschjc

Premium Member
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Yes, it is covered under warranty (thank God). After 5 months and 7 service visits, Samsung has finally decided to cut it's loses, deem it unrepairable and give us a refund. THey are allowing us to "dispose of the unit at our convenience". We've decided that we are going to keep using it for now (range part works fine) as we are waiting for the town to finish putting in a natural gas line along our street and bringing it to the house and at that point we may consider switching to gas. SO until then we're stuck with this oven and I was hoping I could somehow figure out how to make it work. Seems like there HAS to be a way to fix it. All the repair guys we've had come out had never seen this unit before and really did not seem to know what they are talking about. My husband is an engineer and fix it all guy so figured it couldn't hurt to take a crack at it. We're just wondering whether there are some other parts that could be affected that the technicians have not replaced/checked yet.

rickgburton

Staff member
The problem I'm having is finding any service information or tech sheet for that model. It's probably because it's too new. We're probably not going to be much help. From your description it sounds like the new sensor may be faulty. The sensor changes resistance with temperature. There could be a connection issue inside the sensor where it reaches a high temperature (metal is expanding and contracting) and sends the wrong value to the control board. This a common sensor failure across all makes. Change the sensor and see if it solves the problem. If the sensor is good the problem is on the control board (I know you replaced that also). The entire heating drive circuit is on the control board. If the igniter and control board are new and considered working correctly, then look for a pinched or broken wire between the control board and oven sensor.

paaschjc

Premium Member
I don't think it is the sensor but we will test that. It would mean the original sensor was bad and now the brand new sensor is bad. Seems unlikely. PLus the problem also exists when using only the top oven, only the bottom oven or both together. (It's a flex duo model which uses a divider to split the oven or use it as one). The main PCB was replaced. Is it possible that the issue could be with the sub PCB (i.e the touch control panel)? It appears that when the oven temp drops, we can hear the clicking that should be telling the heating element to come on but then it clicks again right away which I would assume tells the element to turn off again. The touch control panel on the front has not been replaced. Is it the one that is the "brains" of the oven and the main PCB in the back just a set of relays? or is the brains of it the main board in the back? Just trying to understand what part determines what the set temp is and then compares it to the input from the sensor and decides whether to turn the element on or off. IS this the main board or the sub PCB (touch panel)?

rickgburton

Staff member
If I had a tech sheet or a wiring diagram I would be happy to answer your questions. Unfortunately I don't.

paaschjc

Premium Member
Ran another test the other day using only the top oven in convection mode (not true convection so no heating element around the fan). Set to 425. Recalibrated to heat 35 degrees higher. pre-heated fine to 448. I put the food in and watched the temp drop to 340. In the process I could hear the clicking telling the broil element to come on and it lasted 8 seconds and then click sounded and it turned off again. Element on top never turned orange so didn't produce much heat. Temp in oven stabilized at 340/341. Ever time the element turned on, it would start to increase to about 341 and then it turned off again and temp dropped back to 340. IT would just keep doing this. So element is definitely working and it comes on just fine. Problem seems to be that something is telling the oven to turn the element off again right away even though oven is not at the correct temperature. There clearly seems to be a problem with the feedback loop. Would this be something that is controlled by the sub PCB? It's the only part that has not been replaced yet. I can't imagine it's a problem with the main board as this would mean we've had 2 bad main boards. Cna't be sensor either because that would mean both sensors have to be bad which seems unlikely and the bottom sensor was replaced. Besides, the oven preheats perfectly which would suggest that the sensors are fine. If I need to replace the sub PCB, what parts would I need for this. IS it just a simple board or is it more complicated because of the touch screen?

rickgburton

Staff member
Well, I see their wire diagrams are about as good as their appliances. Take a look at this section of your wire diagram. I can't see (or read) the wire markings that come off the elements and look like they disappear into another dimension. Can you tell me what they are and if you see the same markings anywhere else on your wire diagram. Is that the only diagram you have? Give me the part number of the board you replaced.
wires.jpg

paaschjc

Premium Member
LOL. That's because they don't actually WANT you to be able to fix it.
Yes, that is the board that was replaced. #DE92-02439K

I found a service manual for a model very similar to ours. Appears to have the same oven but the top is electric instead of induction. Wire diagram appears to be the same.
Here is the link:*********

If you download it, you can zoom in on the diagram. The markings you were asking about are W7, W6, W5, W4, W3 from top to bottom. No idea where those are coming from.

Last edited by a moderator:

paaschjc

Premium Member
another update. It appears now the lower oven is working accurately (the technician replaced the oven sensors on the bottom only. at least that's what the paperwork says). THe top still does not work correctly and when I use the oven as a whole without the divider, it does not work correctly either. Now, I am 95% sure that the bottom was not working correctly before so I thought maybe it really is a problem with the sensors and the bottom works because that sensor was replaced and all I needed to do was replace the top sensors. So we ran another test and switched the bottom sensors to the top and vice versa. problem remained the same. Top oven does not work correctly. Bottom oven works fine. Now I am stumped again. Any thoughts?

rickgburton

Staff member
I wasn't able to download the service manual without paying for it and creating an account. It might not be as simple as just switching the sensors for testing. It depends on how they are wired to the main board and how the board uses the information from the sensors. You should replace the top sensor anyways and see what happens, unless it's already been replaced. They're not that expensive are they? What part number do you have for the sensor?

paaschjc

Premium Member
Can I send you the manual I have, maybe via email or something? I tried to see if I could upload it here but couldn't figure it out. HOwever, I think the part is the same for the top sensor and the bottom sensor, so why couldn't I swap them for testing? THe cost about $40 each or so.

The part number of the sensor that was replaced is DG32-00004C. I think the top sensor would be the same one but I am not 100% certain. Hard to find part information.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
paaschjc: LOL, oh boy, you should of asked me for this service manual, I have it in my Tech. collection. $8.99 down the drain, that's why I never like those "pay for service manual sites" They are ripping people off!

I'm attaching the link to it below for you Rick.:)

Jake

Attachments

paaschjc

Premium Member
THanks Jake. I actually did not pay for it. I downloaded it for free. DO you happen to have the one for my actual model Ne58H9970WS? I think the oven part is the same though as this model. Just thought I would ask though :)

Is there anywhere to find a parts diagram with the part numbers? It's so hard to figure out what parts one might actually need without a good diagram. I have been unable to find one online.

rickgburton

Staff member
Cool! Thanks Jake! paaschjc, as soon as I get a few minutes I'll go over it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
How come Rick would of had to pay for it then? Why did you post that link to it when others have to pay?

Google Drive is free up to 5 gigs I believe, you could of shared it there for free to Rick.:)

That is the service manual for this model. It says Basic.

Jake

paaschjc

Premium Member
I have no idea why that link asked him to pay. I couldn't remember where I downloaded it from so I had to do another search and that site came up. I think I got it from there and I thought I tested it out too before I linked it but I could be wrong. I certainly wouldn't have posted it if I thought he would have to pay for it. That's just silly when I already have it downloaded.

I just went back to the site again and realized that I did sign up for an account and did the "free trial" thing so I could download it and then canceled the membership again. Sorry about that Rick. Didn't mean to send you on a goose chase. I've been researching this problem with my oven so long, it's all becoming a blur.

paaschjc

Premium Member
I'm not sure what you mean Jake about the service manual being basic but it's not the exact one for my model. As I said, oven appears to be the same (duo flex electric) but the cooktop on that model is standard electric while my model is induction. But since the oven is the same I'm hoping it will be helpful.