• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED NE597R0ABSR Samsung range made growl sound and then smoke came out of the oven during bake

dieselgg

Premium Member
Model Number
NE597R0ABSR
Brand
Samsung
Hi Jake,

My mother-in-law was using her Samsung oven (model NE597R0ABSR AC) while baking when all of a sudden she heard something like a growl sound and then all of a sudden smoke came from the range. Not sure if she heard a loud bang or where exactly the smoke was emanating from. The range does not turn ON and no power to the control panel. Not even the clock is displayed.

Is this a normal failure mode and what do you think the problem could be?

Regards,
Gus

dieselgg

Premium Member
Jake,

My mother-in-law reset the circuit breaker and now the whole range works. Did not think that only the resetting the circuit breaker would have resolved the issue.
The fact that smoke came out of the range, I would have thought it would have sustained damage. It looks like she got a lucky break.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Gus,

It sounds like the bake element may have shorted/broken, have her check the back element. I have seen them smoke when they short out and break.

Look at post #5 here:

Here's the bake element for this model:
DG47-00038B Bake Element

Jake

dieselgg

Premium Member
Jake,

You're correct. The bake element is confirmed to be not working.
Do you have a DIY video link? I have watched one DIY video and it seems that you have to access the bake element from the back. Remove the 240V power terminal strip, cut away the foam insulation, remove the 2 screws for the element, pull out the element and repeat in reverse order (of course).

Regards,
Gus

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I've not replaced the bake element in a Samsung range as of yet, but I did locate a video that should show you how Gus.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

dieselgg

Premium Member
Fixed.

When I removed the bake element, the left side came out easily, but the right sight would not budge. After fiddling with it, it finally broke free. Towards near the back of the oven, a portion of the element had scorched and fused with the lower metal enclosure. I tried to remove it with pliers by twisting it, but I could not break it free as it became 'one' with the lower metal enclosure.
I installed the new bake element and just ripped out a bit of insulation and placed it on top of the scorched pieced so the element could rest on top of it.

Anyhow, the bake function is working again.

Thanks Jake.

Regards,
Gus

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Gus, good job. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake