• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

NED7200TW Dryer makes terrible noises 5-10 seconds after starting

bonhoeffer

Premium Member
Model Number
NED7200TW
Brand
Amana
Recently our dryer started making terrible noises. It sounds to me like a belt is broken, but it makes a grinding sound when turning. The noise is not constant and it always starts several seconds after operation. After several seconds, there is a strong burning smell.

Washer trouble - YouTube

The video shows my quandry. I would appreciate any help with the next troubleshooting steps.

The dryer is an NED7200TW Dryer and is several years old, probably 3 or 4.

This video might help as well: Washing trouble part 2 - YouTube And this one might be very helpful as well (video of the motor running): April 24, 2016 - YouTube

The bigger issue is how I should go about troubleshoot this. I want to get better at this, but I'm at a loss on how to learn to fix this.

Tim

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
.....Washer makes terrible noises 5-10 seconds after starting.....Recently our dryer started making terrible noises......Washer trouble - YouTube.....The dryer is an NED7200TW......Washing trouble part 2 - YouTube.....
The only thing I'm sure of is the model number is for a dryer. Is that what we're working on?

bonhoeffer

Premium Member
Any leads

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure it is the motor, but I would love someone with experience to give me some thoughts.

rickgburton

Staff member
This should be an easy repair. It sounds like there is something caught in the blower or a bad idler pulley or roller. Remove the screws behind the top panel then lift the back of the top panel and slide it back and out from under the console brackets. Remove the console screws then open the dryer door and grab the center bottom of the console and pull out and up. Remove the two screws, one on each side of the front panel at the top. Lean the top of the front panel forward and lift up and off. Disconnect the door switch wires and set the front panel out of the way. Remove the four screws in the front shroud and lift off. Check the blower wheel, rollers and idler pulley.

bonhoeffer

Premium Member
Next steps?

I did do a full dissembly of the front. I found bobby pins in the blower wheel and a quarter. I was able to move it and the washer and it makes no noise when the power is disconnected. I also don't understand why it doesn't make noise at the beginning.

rickgburton

Staff member
Did you check the blower wheel to see if it's loose on the motor shaft? Look down in the lint filter housing. Also look inside the lint filter housing where it attaches to the blower housing. If you still don't see anything do this: Remove the drum and belt from the machine. You'll need to temporarily bypass the door switch and the belt switch. Be sure to set the dryer on air fluff or no heat and timed dry. Start the machine and pinpoint the noise.

rickgburton

Staff member
Remove the 2 wires on the belt switch by the idler pulley and short (connect) them together. Remember where they go. On the door switch there are 3 wires. One wire goes to the drum light. leave that wire on the switch. Remove the other two wires but note where they connect on the switch. Short the two together.