FIXED Need advice for removing seal hub - Amana ALW432RAW

mstreck

Premium Member
Model Number
ALW432RAW
Brand
Amana
Need some advice for removing this seal hub so I can remove the outer tub and replace the seal/bearing. I have the proper spanner wrench. Here is a pic that I found online that illustrates what I'm trying to do:

Photo link

There is nothing below that I can block off to keep everything from spinning. Is there another way?

Thank you!

Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Mike,

What's the serial number of your washer? If the first two digits start with 15 or higher, then you need this kit:

Tub Seal and Bearing Kit W10116791

Here's the step by step guide on how to do it: www.applianceblog.com/manuals/TDL-0060-B.pdf

In your photo you turn that spanner wrench counter-clockwise to remove it.

Read Page 5 where it says:

Lock transmission from turning. Attach clamp or Visegrip® tool to transmission only as shown.

Transmission will stop rotating when clamp contacts tub support.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Mike, let us know how it goes.

Jake

mstreck

Premium Member
So far, so good. Won't spin by hand yet, but hammering has it moving - slowly but surely. It's backed out about 1/2". It's just going to take effort, patience and perseverance at this point, but it gets easier with each blow.

Unfortunately, RepairClinic sold me the wrong part last week, so I'll need to return it and wait for the proper one. I asked if he needed the serial number to verify that it was the proper part and he said no. I was trying to figure out how the one they sent me was ever going to work with this machine. I'm glad you motioned the 15, which is what I have. The part you posted is exactly what I need.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it!

Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Mike, I've done this job many times, that's why I want to make sure you had the correct part per the first two digits of the serial number.

Jake

mstreck

Premium Member
The new seal is in place. THANK YOU, JAKE!!!!!

I ended up ordering the kit, Thank you for posting the instructions so I knew what kit/tools/adhesive/sealant to order ahead of time.

Just need to reattach the springs and block the transmission in order to put on the new hub. From that point, it's hopefully all downhill. :)