• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Need Help with GE Profile Refrigerator CYE22USHESS Ice Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

tperk100

Premium Member
Model Number
CYE22USHESS
Brand
GE
Icemaker / Dispenser works for the most part, but every few days I have to remove the bin and chip or melt off the melted and re-frozen cubes, frozen to the front inside of the bin. Pic attached of one cube frozen to the bin. When dispenser slows down, there are usually around ten melted together cubes.

Don’t know if this matters, but there is always a small amount of ice around the outside of the bin door seal, as if it might not be sealing tightly. This ice line is at the most ¼ inch wide. Pic attached, but no ice at the moment.

It takes effort to open and close bin door….not like something's loose. Rubber seal looks OK, but wonder if it should be replaced.

Help fixing this will be appreciated.

Stuck Cube.JPG

Attachments

• Door Seal.JPG
    Door Seal.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 39

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Tom,

I haven't run across this issue as of yet, and I don't know what's causing the air leak if your seal is tight.

Hopefully a GE tech that works on this day in and day out can shed some light on this, other than that--->You may want to contact GE at 1-800-432-2737 to have a GE tech come out to see what's going on.

Jake

tperk100

Premium Member
Thanks Jake,

Today I was able to watch the tray fill through a small opening. There IS a small amount of water splashing around and missing the tray. So now am trying to determine next step.

tperk100

Premium Member
Have determined that, when tray fills, water is splashing / spraying outside of tray, Including into the ice bin. I can see this happening when the tray fills. Clearly this is the problem. But what is the fix?

From what I can see, without dismantling, it does not appear that there is any obstruction to the tray water fill “port.” The water flow into the tray does appear to be a little inconsistent, varying in strength and amount, and I can see water that’s not going into the tray.

Is it possible or likely that the solenoid or the water pressure could be causing this? Seems unlikely to me.

Don’t know if this is important, but we have no water filter installed, just the bypass plug. This is because our water is supplied by our distiller.

Appreciate any help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Remove the ice maker and see if you have a tiny piece of ice blocking the fill cup on the ice maker, thus not letting it fill properly.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
When you click the part link to the ice maker, you will see a video of how to remove and replace it.

Jake

tperk100

Premium Member
Thanks Jake,

Removed ice maker. No ice / obstructions / visible damage to fill cup observed. Emptied and dried out icemaker on workbench. Poured water into fill cup. No leaks observed.

Re-installed and watched water fill. Observed water flowing down the back wall of the compartment in the fill tube / cup area. It’s as if the water entering the icemaker fill cup is somehow splashing out of or maybe overflowing the cup. Or maybe the fill tube line is defective and when water is turned on, it’s both filling and leaking. I can see no defects with the tube, but can only see about an inch of it where is comes out of the door.

I’m thinking I might remove icemaker, figure out how to turn the water on, catch water with a jar or something while looking for erratic pressure changes and water that might be leaking out AROUND the tube. If no problem observed I might put a piece of heat shrink on the fill tube to extend it just a little more into the fill cup, and see what happens

Wadda ya think?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I think your getting close to finding the problem, I haven't run into any GE models that have done this before, so its a mystery to me too.

I’m thinking I might remove icemaker, figure out how to turn the water on, catch water with a jar or something while looking for erratic pressure changes and water that might be leaking out AROUND the tube. If no problem observed I might put a piece of heat shrink on the fill tube to extend it just a little more into the fill cup, and see what happens

Wadda ya think?
Yes, I'd say go for it!

Jake

tperk100

Premium Member
Jake,

FINALLY. My heat shrink idea to extend fill tube did not work. It froze up. Called Lowes under ESP. Lowes (GE Service) ordered and replaced icemaker. I told the obviously incompetent tech this was not the problem, but they took about 6 wks to to it anyway. No help. Then another few weeks later another competent tech extended the fill tube, as I had, but wih a tube material they carry for such situations. Problem solved! Took Lowes ESP about 2 months to fix this SIMPLE problem.

Thanks for your help with this.
Tom

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Tom, glad its finally fixed for good.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.