Need Help with Tappan Stove

tofan

Premium Member
Model Number
Unknown
Hello and Happy New Year,
2021-12-29 18.24.26b.jpg

I picked up a small Tappan stove. I'm new to this brand. I'm in process of restoration and looking for assistance in finding information and parts, which has been very difficult with basic internet search.

I located a plate below the top that's stamped with: "U-70 19" and "332261"

1. Which one of these, if any, is the model #?
2. Unlike the O'Keefe Merritt I have the burners have butterfly valves on both sides. How does one go about fine-tuning these?
3. I have a broken what I believe to be one the igniter pilot head that is threaded and comes off easily. Finding a replacement has been challenging. Any potential leads?
2021-12-29 17.45.49b.jpg

4. I'm looking for all four adjustable feet. Any leads?
5. A general gas hookup question: The pipe connection is 3/4". If a small portion of the gas line just before it connects to the flex line 1/2" is it an issue?
6. If I decide to repaint the burners, what's the proper paint to use?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
a small portion of the gas line just before it connects to the flex line 1/2" is it an issue?
Not a problem.
what's the proper paint to use?
Powder coating
Which one of these, if any, is the model #?
Most likely "U-70 19"
I'm looking for all four adjustable feet. Any leads?
You can make them faster than you can find them. Your best bet for vintage gas range parts is probably going to be eBay
butterfly valves on both sides. How does one go about fine-tuning these?
?? butterfly valve?
that is threaded and comes off easily.
Sorry, I'm not following. Take a pic

tofan

Premium Member
Thanks Rick. To answer your questions:

I don't know the proper term, but when I say "butterfly valve", I'm referring to these:
tappan.jpg

I've heard some people call them "butterfly vents." I know how to adjust them and their purpose, but this stove has the valves on both top AND bottom of the stem, which is bizarre to me and annoying to fine tune while you have the flame on.

I'll take a better photo of the pilot head, but you can see them on the bottom of attached photo. I need to replace one of these.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member