• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Need help with White Westinghouse ED408K3 Dehumidifier

Horvik

Premium Member
Model Number
ED408K3
Brand
White-Westinghouse
Hello;

I turn on the unit and the compressor tries to start, it labors, then the overload kicks it out. Wait a while , and you cna hear the overload "click" back to the normal closed position I chekc ohms between S and R terminal at 80 ohms.

Any help is appreciated

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
That could be caused by a problem with the compressor's relay/overload assembly or the compressor itself.

Horvik said:
I chekc ohms between S and R terminal at 80 ohms.

That sounds really high but measurements between each of the terminals to each other is needed, not just between those 2 terminals. Also checking between those terminals and a ground is also necessary to rule out a short to ground.

image.jpeg

It might also be helpful if you can post the numbers on the compressor (in case it needs to be traced) and also the serial number of the dehumidifier itself.

Dan O.

Horvik

Premium Member
Hello Dan O.;

The Serial Number of the unit itself is JN 12000833, 7.5 AMPS,Refrigerant 500, 7.50 oz.
Design Pressure 400 High, 150 Low.
The readings I took are as follows: C to S = 64.3 ohms, C to R= 1.6 ohms. Also, when connected to S and then grounded to the compressor it showed continuity.

I will look and see if I can gather compressor ID.

Thanks a lot

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
You don't need to look for the compressor ID. It won't change the prognosis.

when connected to S and then grounded to the compressor it showed continuity.

That pretty much confirms the compressor is defective. It will not be economical to be repaired as a new compressor alone is likely $150+ and the service to replace it likely just as much on top of the part cost!

Happy shopping!

LINK > Dehumidifers at AJ Madison

Dan O.