Need new front load HE washer

redox87

Hi everyone, I am about to purchase a home and will be in the market for a new washer. I am strictly looking at front load HE washers for their electricity and water savings. I have always wanted a front load washer, and the HE factor is mainly for environmental reasons. There are so many choices though that I am having a hard time picking one.

I have narrowed the brands I'm considering to LG, Electrolux, and GE. Samsungs are so pretty and there are some good discounts on them and it's tempting, but I keep reading horror stories about them. Are the new ones improved?

What is the reliability like for LG, GE, and Electrolux? I'm used to an old school Whirlpool to loader that my parents have had for at least 20 years that has never had a hiccup. Looking for opinions on any of these. Thanks in advance.

For LG I'm leaning towards the WM8100HVA. I know that it's an older model with fewer of the newer features on the other machines, but I like how big it is. Although, I don't think I'd need all the capacity all the time. It seems like a lot of the newer smaller LGs incorporated features from this machine and added wifi capability.

I'm considering the GE GFW550SS because the price is good and the features are competitive. What concerns me is that they are owned by Haier and it's made in China. The floor models I looked at "feel" like they are well made, but GE doesn't seem like they are known for their front loaders.

The Electrolux machines seem to be marketed for stain removal and good cleaning, which is why I'm considering them since my work shirts get pretty dirty. But I don't have any experience with Electrolux, and have seen few Electrolux appliances so I'm sort of cautious about the brand.

Also, has anyone noticed a shortage of stock on washers/dryers? It seems like some of them have a 3 week wait time for delivery.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Red,

Samsung, LG, GE, and Electrolux are the brands to avoid.

We recommend Speed Queen, Maytag, Whirlpool for reliability.

Jake