Need opinions of LG-made Kenmore Elite refrigerator (model 795.51822.411) please

skewered

Premium Member
Hi everyone!
One appliance repairman told me to avoid LG-made fridges, due to the differences in how its compressor works, and maybe other poor experiences with LG fridges. I am looking at a Kenmore Elite model 795.51822.411 that is made by LG (the 795 says) and I really like the interior but I want to make sure that it will last at least 10 years trouble-free.

So first off, can anyone clarify the repairman's comments? And secondly, it is made in 2018 but needed a new compressor already. Is that a good sign or bad? And thirdly, I have heard that parts are already hard to get. Is that really true?

Any other comments would be much appreciated!
Thank you!
SK

skewered

Premium Member
thanks again Jeff Sr.

So I've read now about LG refrigerators and the issue seems to be the compressor failing after just a few years, which seems to have been the case with this one I was considering. The appliance repairman I spoke with thought that changing the compressor on an LG fridge was trickier (my word) or maybe just more attention to detail needed, because of the way its computer control board senses it and perhaps utilizes it in cooling the freezer/fridge. (I thought that the fridge would be cooled by air from the freezer but he said "not at all" on an LG, that it could be a totally different beast). Can you elaborate on that?

I need to find out if the new compressor was made in the last few years, because it looks like LG had a class-action suit over these compressors, and I would think they fixed the problem (a faulty seal I've read) in the new ones, wouldn't you?

Bottom line is that I really like the interior: ROOMY, but I've always been a whirlpool-made appliance guy. So I'm trying to break this fear of LG. Or maybe it's well-founded. In the LG at least, I don't have to worry about the condenser/evap coils clogging so soon, do I? (made in 2018)

Thanks anyone for any further opinions/help
SK

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I don't have to worry about the condenser/evap coils clogging so soon, do I? (made in 2018)

Average life of a new LG is more like 5 to 8 years. Nuff said ;)

jeff sr.

skewered

Premium Member
Do you know if the new compressors (post-2019) are lasting any longer than the ones from LG that came under the class action suit? (from their faulty seals)

When you say "5 to 8 years" on LG, are you referring to a failure in the sealed system?

Thanks again!

jeff1

Staff member
When you say "5 to 8 years" on LG, are you referring to a failure in the sealed system?

Nope, over all life span of the entire appliance.

Do you know if the new compressors (post-2019) are lasting any longer than the ones from LG that came under the class action suit?

Will need several more years to find out.

jeff sr.

skewered

Premium Member
Thanks again Jeff Sr. !

I have read that some/many LG refrigerators have dual evaporators with a 3-way valve that connects the compressor, so I assume such a configuration would be more complex/prone to blockages.

I went to Sears Parts and looked at this model: 795.51822.411 but it doesn't look like it has dual evaporators. Would you mind confirming that to be the case?

Or maybe I should ask: are dual evaps a better config than the old style with a single in the freezer with air that gets blown over to the fridge side?

Thanks!

jeff1

Staff member
795.51822.411 appears to be a 1 evaporator unit.
1 evaporator refrigerators have been around a lot longer than dual evaporator units have been.
JMO - 1 evaporator system with an fan and air damper is def a simpler system for sure!

jeff sr.

skewered

Premium Member
Thanks again Jeff sr. !

I have one more question, about the compressor. The sears parts diagram lists it as part# TCA35911903 and when I type that in, the lgparts website comes back with "use substitute part LG TCA38151706"

Is that because the first part is the bad compressor? (and the next part is the updated/new compressor?)

The reason I'm asking is that I need to check with the appliance store that serviced the refrigerator (selling it "with new compressor") to find out which. Basically I want to make sure that I'm not going to have the repeat issue with the faulty/original compressor. Do you see what I mean? Anything else that I can look for such as date of manufacture?

SK

jeff1

Staff member
Is that because the first part is the bad compressor?

Not necessarily bad but likely not as reliable as the newer version. Sometimes vendors go out of bizz and they must source a different part from elsewhere.

and the next part is the updated/new compressor?

For sure yes.

jeff sr.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.