Neptune bearing/seal issues....

user426

Premium Member
chirp - chirp

I have one of the very earlier Neptune machines (washer), with-in a year, of when they first came out.

The problem is squeaks or chirps when washing.It has got to the point where it sounds like a bird may be in the house, if I didn't know different.

Could this be a bearing/seal problem?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

No, not the same noise.

I have heard the belt do that some time ago on a service call.

They have a new upgraded belt that came out for the Neptune's.

Drive Belt 12001788

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake

bsimpson

Premium Member
bearing replacement

My MAH3000AWW serial #29478 originally purchased Sept 1997 is making a lot of noise during the spin cycle. I would like to replace the bearings & seal. I want to do the belt at the same time. Does anyone have a procedure on how to replace the bearings?? I was hoping the get the bearing & seal from a local industrial bearing supply shop, both the SKF pt# that are listed on another thread are a stock item approx $30 for both.

bsimpson

Premium Member
bearing replacement

I have a repair manual. It says that the bearings are not replaceable & that I have to replace the complete exterior tub.. I have the washer apart, the inner tub is out. I have removed the C clip on the exterior side of the bearings & I have tried to push the bearings towards the back of the tub using a threaded rod & a spacer. So far the bearing will not move!! Any suggestions on how to move them? I was hopping to be able to remove the bearings with out removing the outer tub from the machine.

bsimpson

Premium Member
bearing replacement

I finally was able to replace the bearings. I had to remove the tub from the machine. I then was able to remove the old bearings by using a punch & hammering them out towards the outside from the inside of the bearing. I used the old bearing & a threaded rod to press the new bearing into place. I also replaced the seal using the Maytag part. After reinstalling everything I had a problem with the washer overflowing due to a leak at the pressure switch connection. The washer is now OK except that it does not go OFF. after the regular cycle is complete & I turn the timer through the delay portion the washer wants to start a delay washe even though the ON button was not pressed?? I checked the on button & it is OK, Not sure what is wrong, it looks like the control board is doing free games. I will continue troubleshooting,

MarkKall

Premium Member
Maytag Neptune shaft bearings

Hi. I now also have a 1997 Neptune with bearings beginning to make noise and I think I want to repair them before they do damage to the shaft.

Can you give a brief description of where you got the parts, their cost, and any other details you think are important to a guy trying this for the first time ? Any special tools ? When the bearings were stuck in, how did you finally get them out ? a big mallet ? How did you actually get the new ones in ?

Thanks,
Mark

bsimpson said:
I finally was able to replace the bearings. I had to remove the tub from the machine. I then was able to remove the old bearings by using a punch & hammering them out towards the outside from the inside of the bearing. I used the old bearing & a threaded rod to press the new bearing into place. I also replaced the seal using the Maytag part. After reinstalling everything I had a problem with the washer overflowing due to a leak at the pressure switch connection. The washer is now OK except that it does not go OFF. after the regular cycle is complete & I turn the timer through the delay portion the washer wants to start a delay washe even though the ON button was not pressed?? I checked the on button & it is OK, Not sure what is wrong, it looks like the control board is doing free games. I will continue troubleshooting,

hny04

Premium Member
Aftermarket Bearings located

I purchased both bearings for my MAH3000 at a local bearing supplier, they are made by ORC - $50 for both. They mearsured the old set and
had the new ones in stock.:D

jony51999

Premium Member
Maytag Neptune MAH3000AWW

I have the replacement bearings for these. They cost around $100 for the pair, front and rear. e-mail me if interested.

tr672

Premium Member
maytag neptune bearing replacement

I just had my neptune spring a leak at the tub bearing. (preceeded by loud turbine noise!) I've read most of the threads. Where can I get the bearings for my MAH3000AWW, do I need a tool to get the old bearings out and the new bearings in, and lastly, is it easier in the long run just to buy the tub with the bearing allready in place ($204).
thanks for the help,
Joe

p.s. I haven't take the shaft out yet or seen the spinner support, what are the chances that the shaft is bad and the spinner corroded like some I've seen on the net? My Neptune was purchased in 1997 and there is a lot of rust around the outside bearing in the back.

jony51999

Premium Member
Hey Joe, if you have some mechanical ability and a bearing installation tool, it is not too bad. Basically you just have to drive the old bearing and race out, then drive the new one in. Make sure and clean the bearing/seal seat or else it won't go back in due to all of the corrosion. As far as the cost goes, the 2 bearings plus the seal kit will cost you around $105. So, i personally looked at it as I made $100 and it works perfectly. I have the bearing numbers at home, I saved them along with the owners manual, they should have included it with the purchase! If you decide to replace the bearings, let me know and I will get you the SKF #'s.

tr672

Premium Member

Thanks for getting back so quick, I have the bearing skf# from the guy that said that the bearing #'s are the same as for the mah4000aww. I have a few questions for you (I've worked on cars never a washing machine!) 1) can I make my own bearing puller or use a generic one? 2) How do you pull the steel tub out to get to the plastic tub. (I've taken the nut and circlip off the back of the shaft and the three triangle screws from the inside of the metal tub but I still can't pull it out!). 3) Can I get the tub bearings locally? (are they generic). This last question is a little premature since I haven't gotten to look at the spinner and shaft yet, but what are the chances that I'll have to replace those?
Joe

jony51999

Premium Member
Ok, as far as a bearing "Puller", you don't need one. to remove the old bearings just use a hammer and a punch. It is for the installation you will need a bearing install tool. You can borrow one from autozone if you have one by you. All you really need is to find someting you can hit with the hammer that is slightly smaller diameter than the outside of the new bearing, that way you don't damage the bearing when you are driving it in, kinda like replacing a Pilot bushing/bearing in the flywheel of a car. My local Mazza auto parts had the bearings in stock. Removinf the tub was relatively easy. I took mine completely out of the mackine as a wholoe assembly, you really need to so that you can pound the old bearings out and then pound the new ones in. Just remove the counter weight on top, so it's lighter, not a necessity, then remove the wires from the motor and unbolt it. Unbolt the large pulley from the rear of the tub, then make sure all other wires/sensors are removed. Once all of this is done, you sould be able to lift the tub assembly up off of the shocks it sets on. When you have the whole outer/inner tub out, clips removed from the seal on front, I would then situate the tub on top of 2 saw horses so that the entire assembly is supported by the outer tub, so that the inner tub will fall down between the saw horses when you tap on the shaft. Make sure and have something just a few inches below the innner tub to catch it so you don't damage it.

engelbre

Premium Member
Bearings Only?

I do not see the parts for bearings only for my model (MAH4000AWW) on the maytag website. I had to replace the whole outter assembly just for the bearings only a year ago and they are sqeaking again already. Do you know if your reference to orderable bearings apply to my neptune? Sears.com?

Thanks

tr672

Premium Member

I went to a local bearing place with the skf# listed above and they were easily able to find replacements using the #. They gave me a choice of sealed bearings or shielded bearings. The originals I took out were only shielded (meaning that they were not waterproof) so I opted out for the sealed bearings. A washer repair person recently told me that the shielded bearings (OEM) are actually of better quality so you might consider them. I decided to use the sealed bearings because they prevent H2o from entering the bearing area. The same repairman also told me that the reason the bearings go bad is that the soap used to clean actually allows H20 to seep in and destroy the bearings. His parting suggestion to me was to use ONLY 2 TABLESPOONS OF DETERGENT so the tub wouldn't oversuds and reach the bearings.

Joe
p.s. the bearings both totaled only $15!
p.s.s. bring your old bearings to match them up

tea

I'm getting ready to tackle the bearing problem on my MAH3000. I have a couple of questions.
What are the SK#'s for the bearings?
What comes with the kit mentioned at the top of this thread? The kit looks like it has seals but no bearings.
Which parts do I need to repair this problem?
Thanks for all the great info here.

tr672

Premium Member
Hi,
1) I cut this from the forum. The bearing skf # are the same for both the Mah300 and Mah400 models. Just go a local bearing supply place and give them those #'s below. If all else fails bring the old bearings and they can match them up for you.

"I have a Mah3000aww, and I try to fix the famous tub bearing problem by myself. I need to buy two tub bearings, the large one and the small one, but I don't know the model number or the part number. I know Mah4000aww use the following bearings:

Mfg. SKF vendor part number is
6207-2RS1/HT51 for large diameter bearing.

Mfg. SKF 6206-ZZ/HT51 for small bearing" These SKF #'s are all you need when you go to the bearing supplier. - Joe

2) The kit, I believe your referring to, is the lip seal kit that has to be replaced when you replacing the bearings. The bearings are not included with the lip seal kit.

3) You need at minimum an outer and inner bearing and a seal kit. Thats assuming that your spindle, tub and other mechanical parts are working (ie electric motor, belt etc.. )
cheers,
Joe

danf

Premium Member
outer tub replacement

any tricks to removing the spin basket? I can't seem to get it to budge.