Neptune bearing/seal issues....

wildswish

Premium Member
Hey Joe, if you have some mechanical ability and a bearing installation tool, it is not too bad. Basically you just have to drive the old bearing and race out, then drive the new one in. Make sure and clean the bearing/seal seat or else it won't go back in due to all of the corrosion. As far as the cost goes, the 2 bearings plus the seal kit will cost you around $105. So, i personally looked at it as I made $100 and it works perfectly. I have the bearing numbers at home, I saved them along with the owners manual, they should have included it with the purchase! If you decide to replace the bearings, let me know and I will get you the SKF #'s.
Can you help me with where I can purchase the bearings and the seal?

Bill

valbird

Premium Member
any tricks to removing the spin basket? I can't seem to get it to budge.
I did the tub on my MAH7500AWW at 2433 cycles. I Now have 7220 cycles on the machine. Knock on wood. Are the bearings the same for the 7500, if anyone knows?

To get the shaft out of the bearing, I ended up proping the outer tub up on 4x4 pieces of wood. I tried a hammer. I tried an air hammer. I tried tapping it with a 5 lb hammer. But it wasn't until I gave it a full swing 5 lb hammer that it came free. Oh, use the usual PB Blaster or Liquid wrench.

When I used the full swing, I thought I might ding the splines, but it was hit squarely enough so that it didn't.

rlf

Maytag Neptune Washer

Part number 12002022 Lip Seal Kit
(on National backorder) to fix very poor engineered product, I WILL "NEVER" PURCHASE ANOTHER MAYTAG PRODUCT AGAIN..."EVER" , I have noticed since Maytag came out with this washer the Maytag repairman isn't lonely anymore...This has been the worst experience trying to get what I thought was a major appliance company item repaired!
Maytag has let the American consumer down by becoming a second rate at best company...Sorry I once held them up there with the best...

Mercracer

I gave up waiting and bought a new support shaft which came with the updated seal. The new seal no longer is a traditional lip seal style. It uses 2 O-rings.
Manufacturer's Number: 22004081 $117.49 for the shaft with seal.
Can someone tell me if the spacer between the bearings sets the space for the inner races to prevent overloading the bearings when installing the belt pulley? It just seems so flimsy.......

Econo Appliance

Appliance Tech
Whats all this talk about this "lip seal kit"?? That kit is useless by itself. I have a few extra unopened "lip seal kits" from when we get a drum that gets broken during shipping (it comes with the drum), and in the past few years we have not done a single job that required the lip seal kit by itself.

Someone correct me if im wrong

Econo Appliance

Appliance Tech
wait wait wait are you guys seriously punching out the old bearings from your tubs and installing new ones from bearing shops?

You are talking about working on the outer tub # 22004465 correct?

I am going to try punching out the bearings of one of my spare broken tubs.

Do you punch from the inside of the tub towards the outside (towards the back of the machine if it was theoretically installed) or opposite?

zzvyb6

Premium Member
MAH4000AWW Bearing & Seal kit

I ordered the seal kit and the bearings from VBX:

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit7731

Note: the seal kit gives you both a "new" seal design and an old one, for the type of spinner shaft you happen to have. Just use one of them. They are not interchangeable.

Pull the "c" clip off of the back of the inner drum housing, blast out the rear bearing with a center punch or piece of water pipe, then punch out the front bearing by pushing it into the outer drum container. Clean it all up because the aluminum bearing housing may be a bit corroded, then squeeze the bearings in. Add the seal, put the c-clip back in place and presto !

The other big "learning" here was that the sloshing noise I always heard was not wash water remaining in the drum, but part of a saline solution spin balance process. Basically the saline moves to a site in the balance ring to offset a clothes imbalance.

While I was at it, I bought a new wax motor from a guy on e-bay. I can see how the wax motor mechanism could get out of kilter if the washer were jarred or the door slammed. The little tit on the end could slip out of the holder.

Lastly, I never heard of e-soap. Now I know what its for and why. Now its better than new and operates wonderful.

docmag

Premium Member
It's a shame they don't sell one type of seal vs the other. Many if not all earlier models need the old style seal(all rubber no exposed metal). Just a waste of money and natural resouces if you ask me. Pete

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I couldn't agree more Pete.

Jake

smart4535

Premium Member
MAH7500 AWW model maytag bearings

Hey...Do you think the numbers for the 7500 Maytag washer bearings are the same as for these?? I'd be interested in whether anyone out there has worked on this model. Thanks!

rswapp

Premium Member
I am also wanting skf number for a mah7500aww washer that is in need of bearings, if anyone has a clue what the number's are it would be greatly appreciated.
Hate to take the washer apart just to get the numbers and be without a washer for a week.

Eddie555

Premium Member
Need Bearing Part Numbers for Maytag Neptune M/N: MAH4000AWW, S/N: 44328527WW

I was redirected to this old thread by Jake and was wondering if someone knows the bearing numbers for my Neptune washer below and if Maytag offers a bearing and seal kit combo. Thanks!
Model Number: MAH4000AWW
Brand: Maytag

Maytag Neptune spin cycle sounds like jet engine winding up! Have M/N: MAH4000AWW, S/N: 44328527WW over 10 years old serving a family of 5 faithfully for so long.... so now it's time for me to 'give' back with some repair parts! I saw in one of the forum threads that the bearings are SKF 6207-2RS1/HT51 (larger bearing) and 6206-ZZ/HT51 (smaller bearing). I contacted an SKF distributor who had to contact the SKF factory and got the following bearing crosses: 6207-2RS JEM and 6206-2Z JEM. Note the 2Z is two Z and not ZZ like I found in a forum thread. Apparently a typo from that thread. So, my question is, does anyone know the correct bearing numbers for my machine. Are they the SKF part numbers shown above that end with /HT51? SKF identifies the suffix "2RS1" in the part number as the standard Rubbing Seal, RS1 and the suffix 2Z as a bearing with two non-contact Z shields (helps keep the grease in the bearing). By the way, my wild but "educated" guess on the /HT51 is that this is a High Temperature grease #51. Does anyone know for sure on this?

I have not disassembled the machine yet, and therefore, I cannot get the original bearing numbers off the failing bearings.

I want to order the bearings and seal kit (which I have read in other threads the seal kit is part number 12002022, a Maytag part number I presume) before I take the washer offline and strand my family with no washer for maybe up to a week, while waiting for parts and doing the job.

I appreciate the time people devote to helping out people like me who like to repair their own appliances. :)

Kind regards from Eddie.

rswapp

Premium Member
Bearings for Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW

Go to VXB.com and do a search for the following bearings.
6206-2RS Bearing 30x62x16 Sealed
6207-2RS Bearing 35x72x17 Sealed
Also order the inner and outer seal kit 12002022.
Neptunekits.com has a tool to remove the bearings but I managed to tap mine out by using a long drift punch.
Replace the drive belt and the drum balancer while you have the washer apart.
I was able to do the bearing replacement, drive belt and balancer change in under 2 hours.

After you get the washer back together remember to use a maximum of 1-2 tablespoons of liquid detergent for HE and 1 tablespoon max for non HE. By adding too much detergent the suds weep through the seal and wash the grease from the bearings causing premature failure.

Hope this helps and good luck on your repair.

Eddie555

Premium Member
MAH4000AWW Bearings, Seal, Etc Reply

Thanks very much for the information on bearings, seal, drive belt, drum balancer, amount of detergent, etc.

I did find the vxb.com prior to your thread reply and noticed that they are Chinese made bearings. I have little faith in Chinese made machined parts because of quality control issues with China manufacturing in general. I have since found a website that sells a bearing set made by a Korean company called KBC. The bearing company FAG apparently purchased KBC in 2003 according to the website.

The toll free number on the link gets you the owner of the website, Wayne, who I found to be very knowledgeable and pleasant to work with. He claims that all front loading Maytag Neptune washers take the same bearing set (for those who have asked this question before on other threads). I have not independently verified this website's claim but talking with Wayne should be of great help.

I would like to know what is the drum balancer? Do you know where to purchase and how much? Also, why should this part be replaced?

I agree that I should replace my 12 year old belt. I'll get that ordered.

And the other thing I really appreciate is your advice on the amount of detergent to use. My whole family (that includes me) has apparently used too much over the years! I can understand that detergent that gets to the seal-grease-shaft interface would have the grease "washed" away over time, which would then allow the detergent to get to the bearing's grease. It took 12 years for this to happen on my machine, but it eventually happened.

Kind regards... Eddie:)

tbtime

Hey,
I have a maytag mah5500bwq and looking for the correct part numbers for inner and outer tub bearings, i can buy the seal kit from the local appliance place. any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Tony

jester2

Premium Member
Hi all,

I have a MAH5500BWW and I managed to get the outer bearing out of the bore, but the inner bearing is being stubborn. I used a punch and hammer for about 4-5 hours, but I only managed to move it out a centimeter or so. I'm using WD-40 as a penetration lube. I was debating using the Dremel EZ-lock cutter and try to cut the bearing housing, but I don't know if they'll even work, neither do I want to risk damage to the tub. Are there any tips or similar experiences that others have regarding this? Thanks.

BTW: Here are the links I've been using as references:
The Front bearing is part number WP22002934

The Rear bearing is part number WP22003441.

Video's to replace the 2 bearings: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKcL50RDOUz_mkG6OJLBvt8JvwokTWrLn

Lip Seal kit for this too. Video in Lip Seal part link here:
12002022 Lip Seal Kit

Last edited: