Neptune bearing/seal issues....

jester2

Premium Member
I finally got that stubborn inner bearing out; I eventually punched out the inner race, leaving the outer race stuck within the bore. Then used a chisel and some PB Blaster to penetrate and get the outer race out. I had to actually put the machine on its front with 2x4s and knock it out that way. I did manage to get the new bearings in. I froze the new bearings, then drove them in with a punch and hammer. The other issue I had was making sure the bearings were aligned and straight. Even though I drove them until they hit the shoulder of the bore, the spacer would push tightly against the bearings, making the bearings bind and impossible to turn. So i used a punch to adjust the rear bearing so it's slightly out further than usual.

DavidLerman

Premium Member
Hi, I have a stacked Maytag Neptune model MLE2000AYW serial number 32856743ZB. I might have let my bearing problem go to long but I thought I would seek the wisdom of others before I just give up. I opened up the back end to inspect and found that there was a small hole where one should not be. Looks like tiny metal particles as well. There is currently no water leak and I have stopped using the machine until I repair or replace. The "Clean" line in the dirt is from my finger poking at the hole, not from water or mosture. What I want to know is should I bother to take it apart at all. There may be so much wear that the bearings will not longer fit tightly.
MaytagNeptuneMLE2000AYW_2.jpg

I cannot see any cracks, only the hole, which could be filled with epoxy if new bearings will seat properly. Any thoughts/feedback on this would be appreciated.

Last edited:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Hole is suppose to be there.....looks like the brown gook on the pulley is not suppose to be there.

jeff.

DavidLerman

Premium Member
Here is an update on my "Project". First, I am having a lot of fun. I found a manual for my Stacked machine and have slowly, carefully disassembled down to the bearings. TearDown.jpg

Here are two pictures of the inner bearing or what is left of it. One picture seems to show a fracture/crack in the plastic, I cannot find a crack upon close visual inspection from inside or the back but I will keep looking. innerBearing2.jpgInnerBearing.jpg

Finally the rear bearing is at least intact. RearBearing.jpg

I will Post more when I get the bearings out. I have some ideas on how to create a puller from common hardware. (Anchor bolts) If it works I will show the "tool".

Finally, I have a tip if anyone else still has a neptune running. When you want to "Punch-out" the spin basket, prop up the bottom of the basket by inserting pieces of 1 x 4 between the basket and tub at the 5:30 and 6:30 positions. This lines up the shaft so it is not binding between the inner and outer bearings. I also heated up the spline, making sure not to heat up any plastic, before I sprayed liquid wrench on the shaft at the rear bearing so as the metal cooled is would suck in the oil.