• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

New bearings for Kenmore dryer 417.93042300

rastapapa

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello,
We have noticed some brownish oil staining our clothes, and recently got a new washer. When moving the dryer i noticed some oil at the bottom outside rear of the unit as I was looking for some way that I was going to stack my new mixmatched pair.

We spoke to an appliance repair guy and he seemed to instantly know that he was going to have to replace either the front or rear bearings. I think he said there's 4 bearings in total.

Does his diagnosis sound right?
How long does it take to do a job like this and what parts are needed?

Thanks so much you guys,
Oliver

rastapapa

Premium Member
The more I read about it, it sounds like the felt seals need replacing and perhaps a general maintenance kit needs to be done on the machine. Will item #5304457724 fit my 417.93042300, or is there another maintenance kit that will fit?

how do you know if the idler pulley needs replacing?

Thanks again
Oliver

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Oliver,

Manufacturer Part Number 5304457724 is RepairClinic Item Number 1198622.

Yes, Its better to just get the Dryer maintenance kit:
Maintenance Kit 5304457724

This dryer preventive maintenance kit is used on 2002-present models, and yours is a 2005 model dryer.

Watch this video:

[video=youtube_share;2TCKjEPdBoI]https://youtu.be/2TCKjEPdBoI[/video]

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This model does not have a rear drum seal, take a photo of what you're referring to and upload it here.

Jake

rastapapa

Premium Member
I just changed out everything in the maintenance kit which was very very satisfying. Unfortunately we still get clothes stuck on the between the Teflon glide strip (which looked good) and the new felt. I'm going to try to check more closely, but I think it's getting stuck either where the two Teflon strips meet, or maybe where the top and bottom new felt seals meet. Any ideas?

Also for my last post, I guess it doesn't need replacing. But there is a felt strip that kinda covers the rear part of the drum Screenshot_2017-01-28-14-53-07.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that picture the rear airflow felt seal, the felt seal only comes as an assembly with the metal shroud it mounts to.

Here it is:
Air Duct 137137200

What Teflon strips are you referring to?

Jake

rastapapa

Premium Member
Well I havent noticed clothes getting caught much since my last email, but I have been noticing that after the cleaning I did that some clothes and blankets seem to be getting kinda singed with a new rough feeling to them compared to the softness they had prior to going into the dryer, and at the same time, there are other clothes in the load that havent fully dried. The same thing happened on high heat and medium heat. We had been used to using timed drying. Im wondering if automatic dying would be any better.

For clarity, from my last email:

What Teflon strips are you referring to?

These glides are the ones I was referring to.

Drum Glide 137513300

They appear to be in good shape though.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Raise the 2 front legs a little bit, that will keep the clothes from pushing up front and snagging.

In my 30 years I don't ever remember replacing those teflon strips, so I don't what to say about that, if they look worn replace them.:)

Jake