New double wall oven - GE or Samsung?

steveg_nh

Premium Member
I have finally raised the white flag on my 15 year old Whirlpool Gold double wall oven. After repairing the NLA main control board, we are ready to move on. Measuring our cabinet, and based on electrical location in the cabinet, there are only two 30" brands that seem to work for us. GE and Samsung. We don't care about convection. So these units are around $2000-2500. I'm a bit gun shy on reliability with newer appliances. I thought GE was a top brand for reliability, but looking over the forums here, I'm not sure that's true. And with Samsung I've read about the nightmares with the fridges, so I wonder about their other stuff. I do love our Samsung TV though. :) I hate having a motley crew of appliances as we replace them over time, but I guess it's inevitable.

So based on what you all see here, and those in the repair industry, what are your opinions?

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

steveg_nh

Premium Member
Thanks. I'm trying to do a few things

1) Not spend as much as a nice used car (<$3000)
2) Fit in the existing cabinet cutout which is 23.625" deep and 28.5" wide max.
3) Not have to move the electrical junction box (currently in the upper right corner)

If there are other brands I should consider that might fit my requirements, I'm open to it, but I haven't found any. I thought Frigidaire, but the outlet is required to be in the lower left. Too difficult to redo that at this point if I can avoid it.

We are likely selling this house in the next 5-8 years so I'm not looking for super long term. Would a GE oven typically not even make it that long without an issue? These newer appliances are so disappointing. I remember 20 years on something was considered still worth fixing.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
GE should be fine to get, the only issue they had was a cooling fan issue, but that's likely been worked out on the brand new ones.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Steve.:)

Jake

steveg_nh

Premium Member
Quick question you may know Jake. In looking over the spec sheets for the install, both the GE and Samsung say the bottom of the junction box must be 47" from the bottom of the cutout. This is the only spec I'm not getting. The top of my box is at 44", so it needs to be moved up. I assume the cutout on the back of these ovens is higher than the whirlpool I had, so the conduit and box will hit the back of the oven. Shouldn't be a big deal, but something to get resolved. Hoping the installer would do it? I could likely do it, but just don't feel like it. :) Also, the GE appears not available until March. I hate to say it but that might push us to the Samsung.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Anytime Steve!

Jake