• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

New Front Loader Advise ?

DA_MAXX

Premium Member
Well my Kenmore 417.4304200 is now showing signs of a bad bearing. Air plane sound during spin cycle. Purchased this unit in July/03. I've only had two replace the shocks about a year ago. (Thanks to this site in helping with the repairs).

I have a family of six so I've run this unit alot. It appears the average life of a front loader is about 4-5 years. Parts to replace the bad bearing is about $200. So I'm considering replacing the unit.

I've narrowed down my choices to 1) Bosch Nexxt 500 series 2) Whirlpool Duet (WFW 9200), or 3) Maytag Epic (MFW9700). Obvisously, like everyone else, I'm looking for a unit which will last the longest. Cheapest to repair, if needed. What's the best band for the buck?
Extended warranty opinions?

Seems that extended warranties expire about the time these units start to fail, where the cost exceed the benefit.

Thanks,

DA-MAXX

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi DA-MAXX,

I've never worked on the Bosch washer, so I can't really say if that one is reliable and trouble-free.

Now the Whirlpool Duet is the one I would recommend, they are very reliable and very service friendly.

Maytag has been bought out by Whirlpool, so the Maytag Epic would be identical as far as the inner parts to the Whirlpool Duet, so I recommend that one as well.

Jake

DA_MAXX

Premium Member
Other Thoughts

Jake, Thanks for the reply. After visiting Home Depot and Lowes.
What are thougts between the Maytag EpicZ vs. Fridg Affinity ATF8000FS ?

The Affinity looks like more work on servicing if needed.

Thanks,

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I would go with the Maytag EpicZ.

Its more reliable and servicer friendly.

Jake

DA_MAXX

Premium Member
Update

Was at Lowes website and decided on the Whirlpool WFW8400TW Washer and the WED8300S Dryer. Was able to purchase the combo for $1700 (tax\delivery). This includes a 4YR (5yr Total) warranty for both items. I have to submit rebates for $100 Whirlpool pair and $59 for delivery service. Power company also has $100 for energy savings.

Overall think this was a good deal. To be delivered in 10 days.

Thanks for the recommendations. Will update on the performance when I have a chance to evaluate them.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, Whirlpool is a good choice.:)

Jake

rscantx

Premium Member
Just joined this forum today because last week I purchased a Whirlpool Duet Sport HT (WFW8500TW) and the matching dryer. I live in an apartment, on the ground floor thankfully, and had one of those all-in-one units that gave up the ghost. The complex was charging $50 for washer/dryer, and I could only do 4 pairs of jeans at one time.
I have to say that so far, I love these units. What normally would have been 12-14 loads of laundry in the old set turned out to be only 5 loads in the new one. That's not even counting rental charge from the apt complex, water, electric or detergent savings. I have read on here some nightmares about Duet Sports, but I got such a great deal on them I thought it was worth taking a chance...and now they're MINE!!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Just joined this forum today because last week I purchased a Whirlpool Duet Sport HT (WFW8500TW) and the matching dryer. I live in an apartment, on the ground floor thankfully, and had one of those all-in-one units that gave up the ghost. The complex was charging $50 for washer/dryer, and I could only do 4 pairs of jeans at one time.
I have to say that so far, I love these units. What normally would have been 12-14 loads of laundry in the old set turned out to be only 5 loads in the new one. That's not even counting rental charge from the apt complex, water, electric or detergent savings. I have read on here some nightmares about Duet Sports, but I got such a great deal on them I thought it was worth taking a chance...and now they're MINE!!!
Sounds good, glad you like them.:)

Yea, I don't know why some people have problems with these, the majority of people who purchance these love them and never have a problem with them.:)

I recommend getting a extended warranty service contract on these for at least 5 yrs. if people use them many times a day for a large family of 4 or more in the household.:)

Jake