• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

FIXED New Microwave turns on (doesn't heat) when gently pulling handle. Works fine otherwise.

Delfonik

Premium Member
Model Number
JVM6175SFSS
Brand
GE
Hi, I just installed a new GE Series OTR microwave; model JVM6175SFSS

When I pull the handle gently and not hard enough to open the door, the microwave turns on. The light inside comes on and the fan (not vent) turns on as well. However, the turntable does not come on and the heating element does not engage (When turning microwave on using the control buttons, I can actually hear the heating element engage after about 1 second. I do not hear the same sound when I gently pull the handle).

When I gently pull the handle, I hear a click. Once it clicks, it turns on, but without heating and the turntable. Has anyone come across something like this?

I called GE tech support, and they say it could've been an issue with the installation since I didn't have it professionally installed. I explained that the majority of the installation was installing the mounting bracket, and I didn't do anything to the microwave except mount it on the bracket and screw in the two top screws.

Thanks!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

When I pull the handle gently and not hard enough to open the door, the microwave turns on.
Most will, no cooking will occur but the fan/light will often come on......don't do that! ;)

jeff.

Delfonik

Premium Member
That was easy!

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I tried searching before making a thread, but couldn't find any posts with the exact issue. My old microwave has a button to open the door, so this style is new to me.

Thanks again,
Del

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Your welcome :)

jeff.