New owner of 1950 Frigidaire fridge

8ton

Premium Member
Hello all,
Last weekend I picked up a working 1950 MM 92 frigidaire from a older gentleman who was clearing out his mother's house.
I am planning on using in the kitchen of my wife and I's new home, a 1920's American foursquare.
I have had several project fridges in the past, but never had the means to get any working.
My plan is to replace the door gasket, better insulate the door (if it is open anyways) and respray the outside
w0ith appliance epoxy white. I will also clean the condenser coils. Long term I want to find the parts that I am missing from the lower crisper drawers.
ETA:also new cord. This one died as soon as we plugged it in....
I have a "kill-o-watt" meter that I will plug up to it once it is cold to settle a bet with a co-worker and monitor energy usage.
I found a site where I can purchase a download of the service manual, which I plan on doing, and a site that sells door gasket material. Are there any othe resources, tips, or tricks? Thanks guys!

Attachments

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Good luck!

Long term I want to find the parts that I am missing from the lower crisper drawers.
Don't get your hopes up on finding such items unless you can find another whole refrigerator to purchase for parts.

My plan is to replace the door gasket
There used to be a universal door seal made specifically for older Frigidaire fridges, part # FR53 made by aftermarket companies Genline or Supco. I don't see it currently available anywhere but you might come across old stock somewhere. Otherwise you'll have to just use a general replacement door seal that is close.

and respray the outside with appliance epoxy white.
The model number is stamped in ink on the back of the cabinet. You might want to consider not painting over it in case it's needed in the future.

I'd be curious to hear the energy consumption but it is a small and simple manual defrost refrigerator. My guess is it won't use much power compared to frost-free refrigerators.

JMO

Dan O.

8ton

Premium Member
Thanks for the tip on the gasket.
I am going to mask off the back of the fridge before painting. There are a couple important paper stickers back there as well. You can't see the back when it is in place anyways!

I have tested the energy consumption of the two newer fridges I have, as soon as I get the cord on this one I will get it plugged in. I am going to get a reading with it empty with bad door gasket and again with new gasket. I will post in a week or two when I have real numbers.