• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

NN-CD989S Convection Powering off after 5 seconds H97 error code

Erik_Azzy

Premium Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2017
Messages
2
Location
British Columbia
Model Number
NN-CD989S
Brand
Panasonic
Age
1-5 years
This microwave was giving to me from someone who needed help cleaning out a garage, the previous owner didn't know what was wrong with and gave it to me. It looks in really nice condition, very clean and all the screen and blue lights turn on when plugged in. I put a cup of water in, set it for 20 seconds and hit the start put. After about 5 seconds it shuts off but all the lights are still lit up. I repeat again and the same results. I repeat a third time and this time it shuts down except just before it shuts down it beeps twice, and the screen is left with a H97 error code. I unscrewed the case to look at the electrical systems to see if there was any visible damage like shorted out wires, burnt fuses etc. I don't see any visible damage nor do I smell and electrical burnt smell. I run through the 3 power cycles again and get the same result back to the H97, except this time I notice this intermittent buzzing sound coming from somewhere in the microwave. Its almost like something is switching on and off with this buzzing sound. I don't know if this is normal or not but something tells me its not. The fan in the back is running but theres a little fan on the top the isn't running while its powered on. I don't know if that normal or not either. I don't know if this is something I can fix myself or not. I'm pretty handy and mechanically inclined but have never worked on a microwave before so I sorta don't know what I'm doing. Any tips or answers would be appreciated. I posted a video of it on youtube if this helps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W84m_ovmeJU&feature=youtu.be
 

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
33,553
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States
Sounds like a control board relay is stuck open or closed. You'll need to replace the control board. I'm not sure where you can get Panasonic parts.
 
Top