No Flame - Maytag Dryer MDG508DAWW

jrobinsonchicag

Premium Member
Model Number
MDG508DAWW
Brand
Maytag
I've got a Maytag MDG508DAWW with no flame. I've already replaced the coils with no change.

When turned to timed dry on high heat, the ignitor glows red and I hear one click from the gas valve, but no flame.

When placing a magnet on the top of the coils, I hear a click from the one closest to the inside of the machine telling me that valve is open and freely moving.

When I place a magnet on the coil closest to the front of the machine theres no click, making me wonder if that valve is stuck closed. Or, maybe that one isn't supposed to click???

Also, when the machine is plugged in, I can feel a current running through the metal ductwork that surrounds where the ignitor is and where the flame is blown into. Is that normal?

Someone also mentioned the heater relay as a fix in this type of issue, but I'm stumped. Before I go replacing the expensive valve, thought id ask here first. Please advise.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
jrobinsonchicag said:
the ignitor glows red and I hear one click from the gas valve, but no flame.
What happens to the ignitor at that time? Does it go off or continue to glow?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Those symptoms would usually point to the coils but since those were already replaced, the valve itself might be responsible. I don't know anyway to determine that for certain though. Sorry.

Another problem will be the gas valve asm. # WP37001127 is NLA. You might need to locate a used one if required. :/

jrobinsonchicag said:
Someone also mentioned the heater relay as a fix in this type of issue,
All any parts of the control system would do is send power to the burner. If the ignitor is glowing the burner is getting power.

Dan O.

jrobinsonchicag

Premium Member
I'll try ordering the valve. White Rogers makes a new replacement.

Any know about the constantly "live" metal ductwork that I also asked about?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
jrobinsonchicag said:
Any know about the constantly "live" metal ductwork that I also asked about?
I do not.

Is the metal duct work grounded? Is the machine grounded? Did anyone check the grounds?