• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED No LCD text display on GE Dishwasher CDT835SSJ0SS, but still works

donk71

Premium Member
Model Number
CDT835SSJ0SS
Brand
GE
Tried searching for my specific issue but could not find anything. My GE CDT835SSJ0SS dishwasher was working fine up until about a month ago when suddenly the text on the LCD display disappeared. All the buttons are working fine and the cycle still runs. But without being able to see the text on the LCD I'm not sure what cycle it's running. I tried the Select+Start for 5 sec and the lights flashed several times (I didn't count - should I?) before turning off completely. Then I hit a button and the lights you see in the pic came back on. I'm not sure if I should be looking at replacing the UI board or the control board. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_5070.jpeg
    IMG_5070.jpeg
    318.6 KB · Views: 28

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, yes seen that happen before on a service call from Feb. 2020 I had in Parker, Arizona. The problem is the UI Board.

Here's the UI Board for your model you can order:
WD21X23464 Kit Svc Ui Lcd

You will need to remove the whole door, then separate the door, then remove the front control console, to replace the UI Board.

Here's the service manual for your model: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vUUXq54uhVXGMWX7DylkrOWz_L7v-21P/view?usp=sharing

Page 29 Door Removal
Page 31 Separate Door
Page 32 Front Control Console Removal
Page 33 UI Removal

NOTE--->When replacing UI control boards, the new UI Board MUST be configured as per the instructions included with the replacement. If the personality is not set by using the 4 jumpers, the buttons, LED’s or cycles will not function properly.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake

donk71

Premium Member
I finally got around to doing this work. Had to wait until the "boss" left town to avoid the stress of having her appliance torn apart in front of her. :)

I got it all done but not without a minor hiccup in the procedure. When I removed the old UI board and went to put the new one in, the jumpers on the new board added extra height that's not accounted for in the housing of the board. The original UI board did not have jumpers like the new one does. I had to use a utility knife to cut away a portion of the housing so the UI board would sit in it flat like the original. I have attached some pictures of the area of the housing I had to cut away. Other than that, things pretty much went according to plan.

I didn't find the service manual very useful. The diagrams are really hard for a layman like me to decipher. I had a much easier time understanding the procedure by looking at a couple of youtube videos about taking the door off and getting to the UI board. They weren't specific to my model dishwasher but it was helpful just seeing the disassembly in action.

Thanks again @Jake for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_5101.jpeg
    IMG_5101.jpeg
    799.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5100.jpeg
    IMG_5100.jpeg
    707.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5102.jpeg
    IMG_5102.jpeg
    504.4 KB · Views: 17

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange, you should not have needed to cut that plastic housing to get the new one in, unless the instructions that came with it told you too.

Well, at any rate, glad to hear the new UI Board fixed it.(y)

Jake