• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED No lights on panel - GE Dishwasher PDF820SSJ0SS (even after UI top logic board swap)

RightBeforeXmas

Premium Member
Model Number
PDF820SSJ0SS
Brand
GE
We recently had an issue where the dishwasher lights were completely off on the front panel. No sounds/lights whatsoever. I tried the simple fix of unplugging the door harness and plugging it back in and it worked!....for about 2 weeks. The next thing I checked, once it happened again, was a steady green light on the main control board and confirmed that was the case.

I then, probably incorrectly, assumed it was the UI top logic board so I went and purchased this:

I properly set the personality pins and plugged everything back in and dead. No lights/sounds whatsoever. Any idea on what i could be? Should I check voltage at the pins for the door harness to see if maybe it's the main logic board?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
was a steady green light on the main control board
Sounds like a software error. Here's the part you need:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You can check voltage to the UI Board.

The UI operational voltage is output from the main control board on connector J722 pin 2 black/green to pin 5 yellow/blue. If 13.5 Volts DC is not found here, then replace the machine control board. If 13.5 Volts DC is found here, then replace the UI Board.

Snapshot_2 (1).jpg

Take the voltage reading from the J722 connector on the back side of the control board.

That J722 connector is on the other side of the control board, look here:

J722.jpeg

It's the one on the left above the ethernet port.:)

Let us know what you find.

Jake

RightBeforeXmas

Premium Member
So I didn't check the voltage was specifically at 13.5 volts DC but I did have a voltage detector and can confirm voltage is being detected on the door harness wiring. Is there a chance the voltage is detected but wrong/low? In the meantime, I'm going to order the part Rick suggested and give that a shot.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You need a volt meter that can read the exact volts.:)

Because you may not be getting the full 13.5 volts needed, volt meters are not expensive and last a lifetime.:)

Yes, you can order the machine control board Rick posted because both boards are very common to go bad on these GE dishwashers.

Jake

RightBeforeXmas

Premium Member
Swapped the main control board and got a solid green light on it but no lights on the front control panel whatsoever. Other than setting the personality pins on both boards, there shouldn't be anything else I need to do right? I'm kind of at a loss of what to do next.

RightBeforeXmas

Premium Member
Checked the door harness voltage and it's reading -14.05V DC so I think the main control board seems fine. I tried a CSM reset on the front panel and still no lights.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then it has to be the UI Board you got is defective or you didn't set the personality jumpers properly.

If you are absolutely sure you set the personality jumpers properly per the instruction sheet that came with it, then you will need to contact the place you got the UI Board from and tell its defective and they should send you another new one.

Here's the UI Board for your model:

Jake

RightBeforeXmas

Premium Member
> you didn't set the personality jumpers properly.

Welp, I'm an idiot and that was it. Finally got around to checking the jumpers and I set them incorrectly. Put everything back together and the new board lit up perfectly.

Thank you to both to Jake & Rick. How do I mark it as fixed?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @RightBeforeXmas glad that was all it was.(y)

Thanks for the update! I marked it FIXED.

Rick is out sick, hopefully he will return soon.

Jake