NO POWER to whirlpool duet gas dryer

Suzan Rey-Olson

Premium Member
Model Number
GGW9250PW0
Brand
Whirlpool
Recently (2 weeks ago) replaced the dryer vent duct because it was full of lint - thoroughly cleaned the lint from the dryer. Today we went to use the dryer and there is no power at all - no light on inside even. Checked the outlet, breaker, etc. and that is fine - another appliance works in it. Is this thermal fuse problem? If so, is it behind the lint screen?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, if the thermal fuse was out the drum light on the inside would still work and the control panel lights would still work.

Are absolutely sure the inside drum light was working before hand?

If so, then you may have a short in the power cord, did you try to put something else in the same place of the outlet like a hair dryer to make sure your outlet receptacle was working fine?

You'd need a multimeter to check for 120 volts where the power cord comes into the dryer.

Jake

Suzan Rey-Olson

Premium Member
After having the dryer unplugged, the control panel came on when I plugged it in! LED for timer was blinking, so I tried to clear/reset by holding clear for 3 sec.Tried the "more" "less" buttons 3 times. Nothing would reset the dryer - it was as though the door was open.... Unplugged dryer for 10 min. & again no power. Yes the outlet works if I plug something else into it. Tested the power cord & per directions found in bottom panel - that has continuity. Forgot it even had a light inside, so I'm sure that is burned out. Came back later, plugged it in & again timer LED is flashing! Very confused now :(

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, now we are getting somewhere.:)

We've had a few members report door switch problems.

You can ohm test it for continuity with a multimeter to make sure.

Here's the door switch for your model:
Whirlpool 8283288 Door Switch

Make sure your dryer is still unplugged!

Push the button in on the door switch with one meter probe on COM and the other meter probe on NO and see if it reads.

If your door switch checks fine then it sounds like possibly the control board is bad. But test the thermal fuse first as I show you below. If both the door switch and thermal fuse are good, then its likely your control board.

Ohm test your thermal fuse with a multimeter. Unplug your dryer first before taking it apart and testing the thermal fuse.

[video=youtube;3nicyh6EUHc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nicyh6EUHc[/video]

Here's the thermal fuse for your model you can order here, if yours is bad:
Thermal Fuse 3392519 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Your thermal fuse is located on the blower wheel housing#59 here: 03-Bulkhead Parts parts for Whirlpool GGW9250PW0

Your thermistor is right next to it, #42.

You would need to take off the lower front access panel under your door, then take off the duct assembly#45, by removing the two #2 screws, and you may also have a screw at the very bottom of the duct assembly with a bracket#11 attached to it, remove that one also.

Here's the control board for your model you can order:
Whirlpool 8546219 Control Board

Jake

Suzan Rey-Olson

Premium Member
Thanks for all the information. Haven't been able to test the door switch as yet, but today my husband went to take the top off so I could begin working on it again, and he said it worked! He was verifying that it heats and all of a sudden it quit with code PF. I tested the other components for continuity & they appear to be fine. Looked at the control board & doesn't appear to be any burn marks indicating that its bad. Now what?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I found another member with this same issue: FIXED Whirlpool duet dryer, PF error code, now dead

It sounds like the ribbon cable is loose or corroded causing this issue.

Here is the online repair manual for the Whirlpool Duet dryer: https://www.applianceblog.com/manuals/Duetdry.pdf
Give it time to download. Page 4-4 shows you how to remove the control panel(user interface) touchpad assembly.

Here's the control panel touchpad user interface for your model:
Whirlpool 8558753 Electronic Control

Jake

Suzan Rey-Olson

Premium Member
Right now I have all components apart. I'm going to reconnect & start the sensor testing again now that I have a light in the dryer. Updates to come soon....

Suzan Rey-Olson

Premium Member
So I connected everything back up (top of dryer) - control panel, etc. plugged it in & got PF error..... hit "CXL" & all the lights went off. I set timed dry & it started up! Not sure if I found a loose connection on circuitry boards.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent good job, but keep your eye on it for awhile to make sure it starts every time.:)

Jake

Suzan Rey-Olson

Premium Member
That was exactly my intention Jake! sooooooo........put some wet rags in it this morning, set it on heavy dry - working like a top even with me opening the door a few times.....so I left it alone, came back later with 10 min. left on the timer & checked to be sure it was drying, heating, etc. I closed the door & hit start - NOTHING! Control Panel is "locked out" again, but no PF error, or any other.

To clarify what I did:
1-disconnected everything from the control panel. I noticed the lock clip for the wider ribbon cable is broken, so it can easily slip out - not sure when this broke - probably when I was disconnecting the cable. Wider ribbon cable at user touchpad has a little crimp in it (observed this when I opened it-I did NOT do this).
2-stewed about the price of the parts for a few days & thought about just buying a new one, especially if I have to replace both boards.
3-decided to reconnect everything & start the component testing again, so connected everything back up - leaving the top cover off & 2 boards out, but secure.
4-plugged dryer in, got PF code. Cleared code with "CXL" button & started heavy load auto dry cycle.
5-opened door several times to be sure dryer was heating up & working. When I closed the door & hit start again - kept working fine.
6-opened door with 10 min. left in dry cycle. Rags are not dry, but definitely warm, so I do have heat.
7-closed door, hit start & user panel is blinking and "stuck" in this state. None of the user control buttons work & after sitting mid-cycle for more than 5 min. with door closed, it has not timed out & reset itself. I have NOT unplugged it as yet to see what happens.

Again, this only started to happen within 2 weeks of replacing the dryer vent ductwork, as the outside vent was loaded with lint & blowing it all over the deck (even though lint catcher was clean).

Rechecked thermal fuse resistance=1; thermistor=11.48 & it's about 70 here now. I'm leaning towards the user interface module.

Suggestions anyone else???

Last edited:

Suzan Rey-Olson

Premium Member
I've found that if I cancel the dryer then open the door, the dryer will power on again & I can run it. If I just open the door, close it, hit start, the panel may lock up. If I then leave it unplugged for an hour or so, all is good again. Since the dryer powered up I also ran the panel diagnostics - all ran clean.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Suzan,

Then the problem is the user interface control board that I posted the link to in post #6.

Jake

Suzan Rey-Olson

Premium Member
Ordered Electronic Control Part #: 8558753 (AP3775978) - on back order until the end of the month. Stay tuned...... btw - the dryer runs once it's been reset (memory cleared on time out), however, I must hit CXL to open the door & I have noticed that the clothes are taking a long time to dry.... so it runs, but doesn't work!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This part you need:

Here's the control panel touchpad user interface for your model:
Whirlpool 8558753 Electronic Control

The control board should still be fine, if the control board was bad it wouldn't start at all even after letting it sit for awhile.

And you mentioned the control panel locking up, that indicates a short in the control panel touchpad user interface.

Yes, its currently on back-order.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You also might want to check the motor, if you have massive lint build-up in and around the motor that can cause the motor to overheat and shut down, then after it cools down it will run again.

Here's the motor for your model: Drive Motor 279787 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Watch this video to access it to check for lint build-up in and around it:

[video=youtube_share;tm1ZCiAnxto]https://youtu.be/tm1ZCiAnxto[/video]

Jake

Suzan Rey-Olson

Premium Member
wow totally missed the post on the motor.... I'll check it out. In the meantime.....
I ordered the electronic control, but they talked me into the control board instead. I installed it, seemed to work fine - opened & closed door several times. When there was 5 min. left, I opened the door & it froze again. I couldn't start it, couldn't cancel it, so now it's unplugged to clear the memory. Expecting the electronic control by Sept.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, its definitely the control panel touchpad user interface electronic control then.

Jake