• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED No water past the water filter.

BillyWest

Premium Member
Model Number
FRS6R5ESBL
Brand
Frigidaire
Hello,

I have a 2008 Frigidaire FRS6R5ESBL side-by-side refrigerator. When the ice maker runs, it apparently drips water behind the sheet metal panels in the back. Eventually it build up and the ice starts interfering with the fan. It build up every couple weeks or so. And i can buy more time by banging the panels and shifting the ice around. If i hear that the fan has stopped, then i just power down, move the stuff to the fridge in the garage and defrost and buy us another couple weeks or so. It didn't used to be this frequent.

Today I decided to defrost remove the ice maker assembly and take the back panels off and see what is going on back there. As expected, there were some large blobs of ice on the cooling fins and the fan panel, and other frozen drips around. I defrosted it completely, dried it out and then reinstalled JUST the ice maker assembly. I figured i would let it cycle and see where the suspected drip or splashing was occurring. Once i had the plugs back in and parts installed, I turned both knobs (in the fridge side) to coldest. Came back two hours later and flipped down the bar to start making ice. But nothing happened after an hour. I then tried to get some water and it did NOT dispense any. I could hear the hum of the pump motor, but no water. So i removed the Water Filter and pressed the dispenser lever and water shot out of the filter housing thing in the fridge. So the the pump seems to be working and the dispenser mechanism triggers it.

It has been in this state for about 4 hours now. And it does not seem particularly cold. This MAY be to the fact that i did not yet reinstall the sheetmetal panels which may prevent the normal heat-exchange routine. I say this because the coils are building up quite a bit of frost. And the freezer has not frozen the ice page and other couple items in there again. I understand that the ice maker will not go through its cycle if it is not cold enough. But that does not explain why the water is not dispensing. And i doubt it is a frozen waterline since it is not freezing in the freezer yet. But i could be wrong; I am not an appliance tech.

Any idea what is going on? Do ALL the parts need to be back in place for the water to dispense? Hard to believe it is dependent on the panels being installed. I have attached 5 photos. 01.jpg has the unit info tag. The others show the exposed coils, fan, etc. In 05.jpg I removed the ice bin and you will see a red arrow pointing to this black tube thing that was behind the panel, just sticking out. Is that some sort of sensor? What is that thing? Is that normal. Could not find it in the online exploded diagrams.

So, that's my deal. Thank you in advance for helping me troubleshoot this.

- billy west

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    559.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 159

BillyWest

Premium Member
UPDATE: 2 hours later, I tried the water again and it is working fine now. Pretty cold in the freezer too now, though the front of the coils are still pretty frosty. Again, this may be remedied when the panel is back on for the heat/melt cycle.

Since it was cold, I lowered the ice maker bar/switch and sure enough, it went through it's cycle. And when it started the water fill step, the water ran down the trough fine at first. Kind of fast, but no splashing or spills. But at the end, right before the water shut off, it started splashing out of the hole in the back, right where the "trough" comes out. I have a picture attached.

06.jpg

The large thick arrow at the top represents the angle the water appeared to be shooting in (from behind the back wall) based on how it was bouncing off the tube (represented by the small arrows around the opening. And then the other arrows are where the water is running down the back wall. So the water just kind of bounced all over for about 5 seconds, making a wet mess back there. What's weird is the first part of the water fill step was fine; no deflecting water.

I will probably try to dig around to see if something has shifted or is obstructing the feed tube or whatever. But if anyone knows what to look for or how to fix it, I welcome your input. Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes check your fill tube were the water comes into the ice maker from the back. I see those clog or partially clog with ice at times and cause this issue. You will need to remove the ice maker from inside your freezer to get better access to it.

Here's the fill tube for your model:
Frigidaire 241796401 Tube-Water - AppliancePartsPros.com

Jake

BillyWest

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I pulled the fridge out to access that feed tube from the back. It did not appear obstructed. Can't figure out why it is spraying wildly. So ended up cutting a rectangle out of a sandwich bag. Laid that over the open part of that fill tube, nice and taught. And then taping it with electrical tape. That way all of the spraying water hits the sandwich bag plastic (not the adhesive side of the tape) and collects and flows nicely into the ice maker trough. Tested it for 24 hours before buttoning everything back up. Not a drop of spillage now. So it is all back together now and working fine. Hope this helps someone else.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job, that should take care of it, thanks for the update.:)

Jake