Noisy Refrigerator

gat

Premium Member
imported post

My, not quite a year old, s x s makes a loud, screeching noise when it is running (compressor on (?)). The GE repairman said it is normal and the new compressors are louder. I can hear this refrig when it is running while I am in the next room with the TV on!! Or over a radio! It kinda sounds like the noise Sacada (?) bugs make. A wierd screeching kinda sound. Any ideas? This can't be right. It makes me crazy!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

Hi,

Has it done it from day 1?

Is that noise always present while the refrigerator is running?

Jake

gat

Premium Member
imported post

Thanks for the reply. I don't remember it doing it from "day 1". It does only occur when it is running. It starts kinda quietly and intensifies. My cleaning lady says it sounds like a constant cricket noise. While it is running and I open the door the motor, or whatever, stops but the screech continues. Could something be rubbing against a coil somewhere? I am not as picky as I sound, but we paid a lot for this fridge. I can hear the quiet hum of the compressor under this other noise. When he took the back off it did sound like it was coming from the bottom left where the compressor is. But, he also said he couldn't hear high pitch noises. He didn't go any further either. It is the loudest refrig I ever heard. I am tempted to call again for another tech. I have never heard another frige like this one. My old Kenmore didn't do this. Thanx.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

gat wrote:
When he took the back off it did sound like it was coming from the bottom left where the compressor is. But, he also said he couldn't hear high pitch noises.
When high efficiency compressor started being used in North American refrigerators, several of the manufacturers warned us of their higher-pitch sounds (see the following link). We were also told that the sound frequencies which may be produced may be more noticeable to women and to not just discount their observations if we (male technicians) couldn't hear them ourselves.

LINK > My new refrigerator is making strange sounds. What is wrong with it?

Asking for a second opinion may be a good idea. If the sound is coming from the compressor there isn't much that can usually be done except replace it and the new one might not be any better. :(

JMO

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~