Non-destructively adding an oven ignitor and oven light to 1930's era Margic Chef stove/oven?

Radius

Model Number: 1000
Brand: Magic Chef

We're in the process of getting a late 1920's era Magic Chef range, of the 1000 series, and I wanted to ask a couple questions.

Do both ovens, and broiler, require manually lighting? I'd read that the burners use pilot lights, so this seems contradictory. Anyone know?

If they do require lighting, does anyone know of a remote ignitor unit- with the ignitor in the appropriate place, and the electronics & control, outside the oven? Not afraid to light them manually, just attempting to embellish/simplify where feasible.

And, due to the period, I didn't think the ovens were likely to have lights, and wanted to ask if perhaps anyone made lights for ovens, with a door switch, or the like?

Appreciate any information/suggestions.

Thanks much,

Ray~

msboyd

Premium Member
Hi Ray,

I just joined, so I may be late to getting you this answer. While I can not help with putting new parts in the stove I can answer the original setup part of your question. Yes the Ovens do require you to light them manually every time they are used. For the upper oven you turn on the gas and then light the broiler. The lower oven has a little access port at the bottom of the oven to light the burner that is covered up under that oven. The range burners have a pilot light under the drip pan that aids in lighting the burners. I have a six burner model so I have two pilots.

I have another thread on this blog where I was getting help adjusting the gas type being used. Should not be too hard to find, but that thread has a few photos where you can see the burner setup.

Thanks Mike

msboyd

Premium Member
Thanks Jake - I was not sure of the rules for this blog/form on linking!