NTW4516FW1 Amana auto sensing water level issue

kennchrisl

Premium Member
Model
NTW4516FW1
Brand
Amana
It seems as though the auto sensing water level isn't working correctly with our Amana NTW4516FW1. With the Auto Sensing option selected, even if one article of clothing is put inside the tub, the tub always fills to about the 4th hole from the top of the tub. Has anybody been able to fix this issue, because Amana claims that this is by design.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, something is wrong with that water level pressure sensor.

When did you buy this? Is it Less than a year old? If so contact Amana to come out under warranty (866) 616-2664

Jake

kennchrisl

Premium Member
amana auto sensing water level problem

It was bought about 1.5 years ago, but I have an extended warranty for it. A tech has already been out 2x to repair it. On the 2nd visit, they replaced the control board, but this did not fix it.

Now they're saying this is the way that it's built, and Amana also claims that the water level needs to be that high so that the agitator properly engages the clothes, but I'm not convinced. I wasn't able to identify a water level pressure sensor on the parts diagram for my washer, model # NTW4516FW1. Can you help?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

kennchrisl

Premium Member
I will try that Water Level test that you recommended and let you know the results. I also noticed at the end of that test procedure, step #9 mentions doing an Automatic Test. What test is that referring to? I figured that it wouldn't hurt to run that test too.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I will try that Water Level test that you recommended and let you know the results.
Sounds good.:)

I also noticed at the end of that test procedure, step #9 mentions doing an Automatic Test. What test is that referring to? I figured that it wouldn't hurt to run that test too.
Yes, automatic test. It will check all the parts and functions automatically.

Jake

kennchrisl

Premium Member
I performed the water level test #6, and was able to blow through the pressure hose without a problem. I also noticed that inside the clear pressure hose is another thin blue tube, much narrower in diameter than the pressure hose, and isn't connected to anything. This blue tube ends about 2" short of the end of the clear pressure hose. What purpose does this blue tube serve?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I also noticed that inside the clear pressure hose is another thin blue tube, much narrower in diameter than the pressure hose, and isn't connected to anything. This blue tube ends about 2" short of the end of the clear pressure hose. What purpose does this blue tube serve?
I have no clue, take a photo or two of what your seeing then upload it here.

Jake

kennchrisl

Premium Member
I uploaded a couple of pics for you to check out this mysterious hollow blue tube inside of the pressure tube.

What's interesting about all this, is that not all of the Amana pressure hoses that I've searched for at on the web have that blue tube inside of it, even though it's the same exact part # (W10846364), which is supposed to be the one for my washer.

Do you think that this internal blue tube could be affecting the pressure and causing the auto sense to not work properly?

100_7911.JPG 100_7913.JPG

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Yes, I see, wow, that is the first time I've ever seen that blue tube inside the water level pressure switch hose, I have no clue as to why it is in there.

I will ask the other techs. what they think.

Jake

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Never seen that before. Shhhhhhhhh or all the washers will want one!

jeff.

kennchrisl

Premium Member
Do you think that I should try to remove the blue tube inside the pressure hose because it may be preventing the control board from sensing the correct pressure?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I'd try for sure.

jeff.

kennchrisl

Premium Member
Do you think that the blue tube is something used in the manufacturing process that should have been removed before assembly? Maybe the blue tube removal machine croaked!

kennchrisl

Premium Member
So here's what else I've tried up to this point, to no avail: 1. removed the mysterious blue tube inside of the pressure hose 2. cut a small piece off the end of the pressure hose to give it a tighter fit on the pressure sensor connector 3. blew threw the pressure hose to clear any possible obstructions 4. re-ran the calibration diagnostics 5. ran the automatic test (no error codes). I confirmed that a technician replaced the control board in a previous visit. During auto sensing, it still fills up with water almost to the top of the tub (4 holes down from the top), even if only one article of clothing is present. What do you think? Could there be a problem with the water level selection switch?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This is very strange, I've never seen this problem before.

The tech needs to call the Whirlpool tech line from your house, to speak to the factory to find out what's going on.

Whirlpool owns Amana.

Jake

kennchrisl

Premium Member
I'm sure that the tech will say what he said the last time he was here after he replaced the control board and ran diags with no error codes - "that's the way it's built". I'm assuming that Whirlpool will say the same thing that Amana support told me when I called them - "that's the way it's built", lol. Do you think that it could be an issue with the water level switch?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you think that it could be an issue with the water level switch?
I have no clue.

I'm sure that the tech will say what he said the last time he was here after he replaced the control board and ran diags with no error codes - "that's the way it's built". I'm assuming that Whirlpool will say the same thing that Amana support told me when I called them - "that's the way it's built"
Trust me, I would call the tech line from the customers house when I worked at Sears when I saw something odd like this, and they told me what to do to fix it.

So if he is a authorized Whirlpool tech he has the tech line phone number, and that's the only way this will be resolved.

Jake