NTW4600YQ1 Amana washer not doing final spin

alex021876

Model Number
NTW4600YQ1
Brand
Amana
I have an Amana NTW4600YQ1. It is working fine except when it's done, the clothes are soaking wet. When I watch it it says that it's doing the final spin. I hear a noise which i assume is the pump getting the water out. But it isn't spinning. It does agitate during the wash. I'm a novice so I would really appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.
Alex

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Alex,

That issue sounds like possibly your shift actuator may be the culprit. But lets verify that first.

There has been a few service bulletins posted for this model washer you have, This model is a Maytag made by Whirlpool - Vertical Modular Washer. I'm going to post what SENSING does first, then you will need to locate your tech. data sheet and check for error codes and post what the error codes say.

SENSING
When the START button is pressed, the washer will first perform a self-test on the lid lock mechanism. You will hear a click, the basket will make a slight turn, and the lid will unlock briefly before locking again. Once the lid has locked the second time, the washer
will slowly spin the dry load to estimate the load size, and begin adding water. The washer will then move the load briefly, pause to allow water to soak in to the load, and resume adding water. This process may repeat until the correct amount of water has been
added for the load. You may also hear water flowing through the dispenser, adding detergent to the load.

NOTE: The sensing light may also come on during the Soak and Wash portions of the cycle. This is normal.

Now I'm posting your Lid Lock Switch and the video of how to access and replace it, but I don't want you to replace the lid switch unless you get an error code saying to replace it. The main reason I'm posting your lid lock switch and video is just to show you how to access your tech. data sheet.

Here's the lid lock switch for your model:
Door Latch W10404050

Watch this video below, Once you have the top up, there should be a tech. data sheet inside the front panel.

[video=youtube;KKxD0oFM85I]

Go into diagnostics and retrieve the codes, and clear them. This is very important since most complaints start with the lid lock on and blinking, or the unit will not start and spin.

If, when in diagnostics the codes are F7E1, F7E5, or motor speed codes, then chances are it is a motor, capacitor, or shifter related issue. Once the codes are cleared, put the washer into a manual diagnostic test and run the HEAVY AGITATION; if
after 15‐20 Seconds the motor runs then you can rule out the motor, capacitor, control, and most likely the wiring harness connections (although still check the BK wire from the shifter to the control). Remember, the timing wheel only turns in the
transmission during the spin cycle.

Next, while in Manual diagnostics, try to get the unit to spin; if the motor hums for a split second and then shuts down with the lid lock blinking; go back into diagnostic codes and look for shifter or speed sensor errors.

This is proof that the shifter/sensor assembly is the issue because the optical sensor is not reading the motor speed.

Here's the shift actuator for your model you can order here:
Shift Actuator W10006355

Watch this video:

[video=youtube;YVjTY-Hj4jw]

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Apqk95

Did this work out for you Alex? I am currentpy having the same issue but with the NTW5400TQ0 Model.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

This thread is 4 years old, hopefully Alex will respond, but don't get your hopes up since its been so long.:)

Did you already do what I mentioned to Alex here:

Go into diagnostics and retrieve the codes, and clear them. This is very important since most complaints start with the lid lock on and blinking, or the unit will not start and spin.

If, when in diagnostics the codes are F7E1, F7E5, or motor speed codes, then chances are it is a motor, capacitor, or shifter related issue. Once the codes are cleared, put the washer into a manual diagnostic test and run the HEAVY AGITATION; if
after 15‐20 Seconds the motor runs then you can rule out the motor, capacitor, control, and most likely the wiring harness connections (although still check the BK wire from the shifter to the control). Remember, the timing wheel only turns in the
transmission during the spin cycle.

Next, while in Manual diagnostics, try to get the unit to spin; if the motor hums for a split second and then shuts down with the lid lock blinking; go back into diagnostic codes and look for shifter or speed sensor errors.

This is proof that the shifter/sensor assembly is the issue because the optical sensor is not reading the motor speed.

Jake

CarJef

I am working on my son's washing machine. The same model NTW4600YQ1 listed for Alex. What my son does when he sees the machine light is on for the final spin he presses the start button and it completes the cycle. I appreciate what you shared and I am going to run the diagnostics you mentioned. I just find it odd that he just presses the start button and the machine responds to complete the cycle. So it sounds like it may be the shift actuator you are mentioning.

Thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, keep us posted.

Jake