NTW4601XQ0 Washer Not Pumping Water Out

rustyfender

Premium Member
Model Number
NTW4601XQ0
Brand
Amana
I'm assuming the problem is either a water pump, a broken belt, or an obstruction (sock?).

I don't know the exact age of this machine, but I am assuming it must be at least 15 years old.

Is this a hard fix, and is there a service manual available, and / or repair videos for this unit?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I'd first check your drain pump for a clog, I see that happen 9 out of 10 times when it won't drain or won't drain properly, or the drain pump went out.

Here's the drain pump for your model:
Drain Pump WPW10276397

There is a video on how to access it in the part link.

Have a lot of big old towels handy, that water in the tub will gush out when you remove the rubber hoses to the drain pump.

Jake

rustyfender

Premium Member
I'm not an electrical expert (although I have an ohm machine / tester), but if the pump's motor is working, I'd assume the unit is OK?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, but like I said there could still be something stuck/jammed in it.

Did you remove the drain pump and look inside it to see with a flashlight?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake

rustyfender

Premium Member
Finally got around to examining this washer, and I could not not find any blockage within the pump area or drain hose.

I righted the washer, reconnected the lines, and ran it on the small setting (without clothes), and it worked fine from what I could tell, although I am not familiar with the dials on these newer machines. I take it the dial does not turn like a manual timer does?

For what it's worth, I set the dial on Rinse & Spin (no load), and the lid locked and the fill light came on - however, the machine made some funny noises, and then the lid unlocked (water did not fill the tub during this setting).

I also tried the Drain & Spin setting (no load either), but I don't recall the tub spinning.

I hope I can make sense of it all. You can't just pop the lid open and see what's going on inside the tub like you can with the old machines. I downloaded the manual just recently, and I am trying to figure out the differences with this machine and my old Maytag with a manual timer.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Correct, the dial does not advance like on the older washers. You can set it to RINSE & SPIN, then it will just fill for rinse and agitate, then drain, then spin.

What I do when its drains is pull the drain hose UP from the drain pipe and watch how fast the water exits the drain hose, it should be a very fast flow of water out the drain hose.:)

Jake

rustyfender

Premium Member
So, if the washer is not filling on rinse & spin, there may be something wrong with the electronic panel? Is that a common replacement item on this model?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Here's the tech. data sheet for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HKA2d9bIVnUbPoj1Lm3kaXLuAzNzwVdW

Get into the diagnostics on PAGE 2

Then FAULT CODE DISPLAY MODE on PAGE 3 then REFER TO THE FAULT/ERROR CODES chart on PAGE 6 and 7.

Do RINSE and SPIN again, this time wait for it to self test. The lid WILL LOCK then UNLOCK, then LOCK again before it starts filling with water.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake

rustyfender

Premium Member
Ok,

Here's the tech. data sheet for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HKA2d9bIVnUbPoj1Lm3kaXLuAzNzwVdW

Get into the diagnostics on PAGE 2

Then FAULT CODE DISPLAY MODE on PAGE 3 then REFER TO THE FAULT/ERROR CODES chart on PAGE 6 and 7.

Do RINSE and SPIN again, this time wait for it to self test. The lid WILL LOCK then UNLOCK, then LOCK again before it starts filling with water.

Jake
I tried to get into diagnostic mode, several times, listed on page two, but nothing happened. I then proceeded to follow the instructions from the video I linked to earlier, and I made the machine go into test mode. The machine then followed the video example until the test mode was over with.

From there, I am not sure if I did things right or not. I tried searching for fault codes, but all I could see was the far left green light blinking once every few seconds. Does page two of the tech manual apply for this washer too? I can't understand why I couldn't activate the service diagnostic test modes with the given diagram. Am I turning the dial too fast or slow? What's the difference with the diagram shown on page two and the video?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your turning your dial too slow, turn it faster.:)

Don't go by a video, go by your tech. data sheet, The tech. data sheet I posted above is for your exact model.:)

Take your time and concentrate on the tech. data sheet instructions and you will get it, drink a pot a coffee if that helps you concentrate better, it does for me.:)

Jake

Wx4usa

Premium Member
Another suggestion Jake & rustyfender, I am more successful when I keep my hands on the knob. Don’t take them off as you attempt to get into diagnostic mode. If you don’t maintain contact with the knob the knob tends to “bounce” through the indents or stops and creates double entries as you spin it.

rustyfender

Premium Member
Haven't been able to get over there yet, but the owner just told me the washer is working just fine for now.

I'll get back over there ASAP and search for codes.