NX58H5600SS Samsung Range - Increasing BTU output on gas burners?

homeby5

Premium Member
Model Number
NX58H5600SS
Brand
Samsung
My center burner, used for the griddle, does not put out as much as I would like. The Samsung repair dude said that Samsung reduced the BTU's on the center burner a couple years ago because the griddles were getting too hot (whatever the hell that means because obviously one can simply reduce the heat). Anyway, I assume it was because some lawyer had to make it idiot proof.

So.......can I simply change the orifice to a larger one and achieve more BTU without negatively affecting the range in any way? I realize I can simply just swap an orifice with a larger size burner but I'm ignorant of the mechanics of these new gas ranges and I would rather be safe than sorry. So, what do you guys think? If I can increase the orifice then am I limited to how high I can go? Right now my center burner is 9500 btu and my next largest size I can swap it with is 15000 btu's. Is that OK or will it produce soot, etc?

I did ask the Samsung dude about this and he basically said yeah but it would void the warranty but I assume that's simply robot speak.

Thanks guys.

jackofalltrades

Appliance Tech
for experimental purposes only why don't you put the 15000 btu orifice in the griddle and see what size flame you get. If it is acceptable to you then order another 15000 btu orifice. If the flame is too big you can see if you can buy an orifice with less than 15000 btu. If you have a good drill bit set you can increase the size of the hole 1mm at a time until you reach the flame size you like.Make sure you remove the orifice each time when you drill it. Do not drill the orifice while it is installed in burner. These are suggestions to help you experiment so you can accomplish your goal but you must realize that as an Appliance Tech I do not endorse these procedures and would only use the parts that the engineers/lawyers say I should use. That is also what I suggest to you :)

jackofalltrades

Appliance Tech
as an afterthought if you do oversize the orifice afterwards turn the burner on to its highest setting then once at that setting quickly turn the knob to its lowest setting. The flame should not go out and it should not be larger than about 1/8th of an inch. If it does not meet these requirements there is a low flame adjustment screw inside the burner valve stem. Pull the knob off the burner valve and look down inside the stem. You will need a small flat head screw driver to adjust it. The small sized screwdriver that comes in an eyeglasses repair kit but those usually are not long enough to reach the screw in the stem.

homeby5

Premium Member
Thanks. I have already pulled the knobs and re-adjusted all of the low flame settings on my burners as they were too high at lowest setting.
I thought about a swap as it's easy but I wanted to make sure that nothing else could get damaged or if their would be soot build up over time if the orifice was increased a little bit. I do understand the reasoning that the supply tube and burner is matched to the orifice size and so forth but this center burner is oval, pretty big and simply does not put out a big blue flame....even at highest setting. As a matter of fact it's like a low flame even after I tweeked the fine adjustment behind the knob. The Samsung repair dude told me that Samsung lowered the output a few years ago when they complaints from people that the skillet was getting too hot. I guess they simply made it idiot proof as some people can't figure out how to reduce the flame with a twist of a knob?

jackofalltrades

Appliance Tech
A question I should have asked first but did not ask because you said you had Samsung service come to the house and I assumed he would have checked the obvious. The griddle burner comes apart. Did you or the tech take it apart and clean it ? I see them get clogged often. Are the other burners also too small when turned to highest setting? As for soot as long as the flame is nice and blue with no yellow tips then soot is not a problem. If you oversize the orifice too much then you can end up with a rich mixture and yellow tips. As for your concern if anything else can get damaged , you are re-engineering the product so you become the test pilot. If Samsung truly reduced the BTU of that burner it most likely was for safety reasons and not simply because people complained it got too hot because as you yourself stated there is a knob on every burner that allows the flame to be turned down. Somebody somewhere had the griddle on full blast , walked away , forgot it was on and after a 2 hour shopping trip came home and found the griddle plate had exploded and sent shrapnel in all directions. I am exaggerating ,hopefully , but you do have to look at the extreme possibilities since you asked if anything else could go wrong. Appliances have safety features that can be bypassed and by altering the burner you are in a sense bypassing a safety feature.

homeby5

Premium Member
I wasn't there when the Samsung guy was there. My wife was. He told me over the phone that everything was fine and it burned as designed.....which seems real low for my taste. It's so lo that the entire burner does not light up when on without me blowing on it. Once it's lit there seems to not be much difference between the low and high settings on the knob.
Anyway. my common sense approach was simply to increase the orifice and see how she goes?
Thanks for your input

homeby5

Premium Member
After doing more research and reading a bunch of reviews, it appears that there are many, many complaints about the center oval burner being insufficient. It's not just me...so when I get home in about a week, I will swap the orifice out with a larger one a report back how it goes :)

homeby5

Premium Member
Let me ask....does this low flame adjustment affect the high output of the burners? I adjusted all of my burners to have a very, very small flame and now I am wondering if I reduced my max output b y doing so? It doesn't appear that way by my eye but just wondering....

SteveMcG

Premium Member
@Homeby5 (or anyone else, for that matter), I'm having the exact same issue. Can I ask how it went with the 15000 orifice? Thank you.

My range was purchased right around the time that you wrote this, and we are so disappointed with the performance of that center burner.

homeby5

Premium Member
I kind of gave up on the idea and I don't recall if I ever tried it with a bigger orifice. Since then I have slowly learned to simply use the center burner as a low heat griddle burner. Maybe I will swap it out later this week since you reminded me.

SteveMcG

Premium Member
Thank you-- I'm very interested in seeing how it goes. I may be trying it simultaneously and I will report back as well.

First, however, I need to find the parts list so I can order the 1.78 orifice. - I didn't even see it in the service manual. It was listed in a number of places, but not with a part number.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Dron

steveMcG,
I to had the low btu with the center griddle. I solved it by using one of the conversion orifice that came with the stove and drilled it out to same size as the power burner. Changed out the orifice and got a great btu output now. I only used a different orifice so I could save the original but you could just drill out the original.

invar

So I came across this thread today because today was the first time I ever used the center burner for the griddle in the 4 years of owning this range. I immediately noticed that the output was not hot enough for my use.

The burners in size order are 5,000, 9,500, 15,000 and 17,000 BTUs.

The oval is 9,500. This strikes me as extremely underpowered considering the side of the griddle.

So, after reading this thread, I swapped the orifice from the 17,000 burner into the middle and here are my findings:

Flame is much bigger and hotter but tips of flames are a tinges in red/purple and that's not good.

Extremely difficult to light the oval now no matter what I do. Seems like the spark just won't ignite, perhaps the mixture has too much gas. Confirmed when I swapped the original back in and the center lit up immediately.

I might try swapping the 15,000 one in to see what happens.

portagepaws

I have a slightly different range model: NX58K9850SG/AA , but the issue is the same as described in this thread. I am using propane (LP) as fuel and so all the orfices were changed to the LP sizes. All other burners work as expected with the LP orfices. I noted that the LR (left-right) burner had the same size orfice (0.83) as the CTR (center) burner according to the LP conversion instructions. The strange part is the LR burner is literally 8 times smaller than the CTR burner. Prior to reading this thread, I assumed the law-suit due to moronic user scenario had occurred and Samsung reduced the BTU's. Like my college roomate that left a frying pan full of oil and chicken fingers on high on the stove top for 45 minutes while he played his guitar in his room... Fire trucks and all.

My solution: remove the 0.83 orfice from the CTR burner, re-install the Natural Gas (NG) orfice, 1.38. BINGO - works as expected. the NG 1.38 orfice is rated at 9500 BTU's based on the LP conversion instructions and the LP 0.83 orfice is rated at 7500 BTU's. The CTR burner works well with the NG 1.38 orfice. The flames look and act exactly like the other burners --> Mostly blue flames, occasionally flickers of yellow flames out of various location around the burner.

I attached a picture of the burner orifice sizes and output ratings for LP and NG in case it is useful for anyone. I now realize I have mis-spelled orifice and pronounced it incorrectly in my head the entire time. Best of luck on this one.

Attachments