NX58H9500WS Samsung Oven won't bake nor broil

cokid

Premium Member
Model
NX58H9500WS
Brand
Samsung
So as it says in title, a couple weeks ago, my oven quit heating - neither broil nor bake will light. They both stopped at the same time. The broil igniter does heat up, the bake does not. The fan comes on with both (delayed with bake). The range works fine. I hear a couple clicks when turning on either bake or broil, so I assume the touchpad is OK. It would seem this is one of 3 things, but given the symptoms, I'm puzzled where to focus. Would this be a control board issue, a gas valve issue, or igniter issue? The only one that makes sense for both bake/broil going out together would be the control board, but since one igniter is working... I'm confused!

PS, the unit has had moderate usage in it's life, and is about 4 years old. I have never run the cleaning cycle. The unit is fueled by propane, if that matters.

Oh, and when I pulled the bottom inside cover off there was a 6" chunk of insulation just laying there! Not sure where/how it came to be there - I'm thinking it may have left in there from day 1 at the factory.

Any advice from the gurus on this board would be very welcome!

TIA, Dan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

cokid

Premium Member
Jake - thanks for the links! And especially giving me the page number - it doesn't get much better than that. Unfortunately, I followed the instructions to pull codes, but none were stored. I had unplugged it, so I went through the motions of lighting bake and broil a couple times, then ran the code process again, but still nothing. My next step will be to check if the bake igniter is getting voltage, since it isn't lighting. I'll report back after that - probably this evening.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
My next step will be to check if the bake igniter is getting voltage, since it isn't lighting.
Yes, that's what I would do too, check for 120 volts at the bake ignitor electrical connector when you have it set to BAKE and ON at 350 degrees.:)

Let us know!

Jake

cokid

Premium Member
Sorry for slow reply - been laid up with bad back for a few days, made it hard to crawl behind stove to test! Anyway - the voltage tested correct, and resistance for the bake igniter was infinite, so I've ordered a new one. That said, I'm still confused, as the broil igniter voltage was only 60V, which doesn't seem correct. I did find that if I left it on long enough, the broil DOES ignite. I guess before I wasn't leaving it on long enough. Or else that 1/2 voltage is causing a problem? I don't see anywhere that broil ignition voltage should be less than bake.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That is very strange, you should be getting 120 volts for the BROILER IGNITOR too, same as BAKE IGNITOR.

Check for a loose, frayed, or broken wire from the control board to the BROIL IGNITOR.

If none found, then your oven control board is the culprit.

Here it is for your model:
Main Control Board DE92-02439J

Jake

cokid

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. Based on your comment, I went ahead and ordered the control board. The igniter is definitely bad, I can wiggle the wires and get about 300 ohms, but mostly it shows infinite. It is puzzling how the voltage is getting halved going to the broil igniter though - if it's the relays, I'd expect 0 or full voltage. I measured it a bunch of times though, and it's definitely consistent. Hopefully in a few days I'll get both replaced and it will be all good!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes if your wires are fine, then it has to be that oven control board.

Let us know how it goes when you get it.:)

Jake