• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

O.T.R. Microwave Magnetron thermostat failure

Appliance Guy

Premium Member
Customers complaint: No power. She informed me that she had mistakenly ran micro. with no load for about 30 seconds. I pulled micro. out of cabinet and found the magnetron thermostat to be open and replaced it. The magnetron showed continuity across leads and no short to ground. I checked air flow at blower and re-installed micro. After installing, I ran micro. with load for 5 minutes without incident. All seemed fine until a couple of days later. Customer called back with same complaint. Before I return to this call my question is should I have changed the magnetron assuming heat damage, or could there be another cause for this thermostat failure? I have never seen this model before, lots of extra electronic, relay boards ect. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

She informed me that she had mistakenly ran micro. with no load for about 30 seconds
-Normally- won't hurnt much.

Before I return to this call my question is should I have changed the magnetron assuming heat damage
I wouldn't have.

or could there be another cause for this thermostat failure?
Poor air flow, overheating things in the microwave.
I'd go and just check the unit, may be a totally different problem not allowing the cooking to work.

jeff.