• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

O.T.R. Microwave Magnetron thermostat failure

Appliance Guy

Premium Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2010
Messages
96
Location
Colorado
Customers complaint: No power. She informed me that she had mistakenly ran micro. with no load for about 30 seconds. I pulled micro. out of cabinet and found the magnetron thermostat to be open and replaced it. The magnetron showed continuity across leads and no short to ground. I checked air flow at blower and re-installed micro. After installing, I ran micro. with load for 5 minutes without incident. All seemed fine until a couple of days later. Customer called back with same complaint. Before I return to this call my question is should I have changed the magnetron assuming heat damage, or could there be another cause for this thermostat failure? I have never seen this model before, lots of extra electronic, relay boards ect. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :confused:
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
24,022
Location
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

She informed me that she had mistakenly ran micro. with no load for about 30 seconds
-Normally- won't hurnt much.

Before I return to this call my question is should I have changed the magnetron assuming heat damage
I wouldn't have.

or could there be another cause for this thermostat failure?
Poor air flow, overheating things in the microwave.
I'd go and just check the unit, may be a totally different problem not allowing the cooking to work.

jeff.
 
Top