• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Ok. I give up. Where is the temperature sensor hiding on my Kenmore side-by-side fridge 253.54369409?

reedmd450

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore (made by Frigidaire) Model 253.54369409 side-by-side fridge and I have reason to believe the temperature sensor (aka thermistor) may be faulty. The replacement part number is 240597203. Before I order it I want to make sure I know where goes and how to access the existing one for replacement. I have scoured youtube and google for diagrams, videos, etc but nothing shows my specific model.

I've been told that it's located somewhere behind the ice tray and possibly behind the ice cube auger cover. I wanted to confirm this and get some advice on how to access it before I randomly start taking things apart. All I can find is this completely useless diagram. Note part #22 in the top right corner with no indication of where the heck it actually goes. Any advice on where this thing actually is and tips on how to get to it are greatly appreciated..

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What is the problem with your refrigerator?

I don't see where it goes, I don't remember it being in there, because you have two mechanical temperature control thermostats on this model, and it would make no sense to put a thermistor in it, its probably a misprint.

Are you still trying to find a solution to the No Longer Available ADC Board here:

Jake

reedmd450

Premium Member
I'm beginning to think you're right. It's funny because on the SearsPartsDirect site (and others) it says it fits this model. And yes, I'm still working through troubleshooting the previous issue. I was able to confirm that the damper is operating normally so that doesn't seem to be the problem. The refrigerator side is cooling much better with the new evap fan/used ADC but the temperature in the freezer seems to fluctuate quite a bit and it is often 15 degrees warmer than "safe".

I have been able to minimize these affects by partially covering the damper with tape on the fridge side. I have also had some minor icing/defrost issues in the freezer but this may be related to having had the doors open while working on the fridge. This goes away quickly after engaging the manual defrost cycle. I understand that there's a good chance the ADC could be faulty but I was hoping to rule out other (ahem, cheaper) possibilities first.

As for the original defrost control board, it appears that there is a blown capacitor on it that would need to be replaced. What're the odds that simply repairing the blown capacitor would fix the board? Or is it more likely just a symptom of a larger problem? Obviously I'm trying any means necessary to avoid spending $150 on a fridge I only need to last another year or so but if that's what it comes to then I'll just have to take the hit and order the substitution kit on amazon.