Old GE refrigerator. Need help, please! Thank you!

MarcasJHD

Premium Member
Model Number
40-391-694
Model Number: 40-391-694
Brand: GE

First of all, I'm not sure if that's the right model number. I'm not an appliance guy so I just chose one of the numbers on the motor and rolled with it.

Anyway, I have a coworker that bought a really old GE fridge and asked if I could put a new plug on it. I do some electrical work, some, but this thing is way out of my league. I made the mistake of not taking a picture of how it was wired before disconnecting everything from the relay, so now I have no idea how to wire the new plug. I'm hoping somebody much smarter than me in this category will see this and either know how to wire it, or have some sort of diagram.

I'll upload the pictures I took of everything when I can. Help, if you can, please and thank you! Have a nice day.

WP_20171208_16_28_51_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20171208_16_29_16_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20171208_16_29_26_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20171208_16_30_31_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20171208_16_32_57_Pro_LI.jpg

Those are the pictures I have. Hopefully they help. If you have questions or need more pictures just ask. Thanks!

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Is there a wiring diagram somewhere on that machine? Let's see the wires and where they go.

MarcasJHD

Premium Member
Okay, I'm not at the fridge at the moment. However, I know there was a whip coming from the freezer, a whip from the fridge motor, and the new whip I'm trying to install to be the new plug-in. We don't recall seeing a diagram on the fridge, but I'm having him check and get more pictures when he goes home. Is there something specific you're needing to know about the wires? I can't get the pictures today, and he can't lay it down alone to get pictures. I may be answer questions about the wires though. Sorry about the complications, I just can't get to his house today to get the exact pictures you're needing.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That's a hot wire relay and there are different styles. One of the connections is probably a dummy post used to connect one side of the power cord and the common compressor terminal along with one side of the cold control but without a wire diagram you'll probably need to replace the hot wire relay and the overload (if not in the relay) with a solid state relay. Is there a start capacitor in the compressor circuit?

MarcasJHD

Premium Member
Sorry for the late reply, I went on night shift for a little while. Anyway, apparently I'm even less knowledgeable in this area than I originally assumed. I'm not entirely sure what everything you said means. At this point I think it'll probably be better for me to refer him to somebody else, but I'm uploading his last few pictures. Is there a way you can tell what the rough year is of this particular refrigerator or know where I can find a wiring diagram for the current relay on there?

IMG_0315.jpg IMG_0318.jpg IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg IMG_0321.jpg

Also, shot in the dark, but does anybody know of a skilled individual that could give this a crack in central Oklahoma? Thanks for your help, and have a nice day!

MarcasJHD

Premium Member
Awesome, now time to get out there and fix it. You've been very helpful, have a nice day and thanks again!