• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Old Maytag LAT5005ABW washer (top loading) won’t spin

Hardy

Premium Member
Model Number
LAT5005ABW
Brand
Maytag
My very old Maytag Lat5005ABW washer (top loading) won’t spin …agitation and draining are ok. There’s nothing stuck between the tubs. I can turn the tub from the top (both directions) but it requires a large amount of force (the transmission moves when I rotate the tub). There was a burning rubber smell so replaced the belts but same issue .

The motor pulley spins freely in both directions.

The drive pulley spins freely in CCW direction (and agitator spins, transmission does not move). When spun in CW direction , the pulley moves freely for about ¼ to ¾ rotation ( varies with application) moving up vertically slightly as it rotates and then hits resistance and requires large amount of force to turn further ( the transmission and tub turn as I force the pulley CW).

So am wondering if brake assembly, transmission or bearings (Brake assembly or tub bearing or?) or ?.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

A copy that may help:

**Maytag Dependable Care washer - won't spin:​

Make sure nothing is caught on top of the inner basket or between the inner and outer tank. The motor sits on a roller and track assembly with springs to help keep the belt tension. This track gets rusty and dirty and may need cleaning, the track/glides also need a lubricant to keep the track moving freely. Sometimes the center bearing can get worn and bind on the transmission, this can, and will stop the washer from spinning and may also burn the belt. Try to turn the belt by hand, if it is super stiff...possible the center bearing has seized.**

Large center pulley should turn in one direction and the washer will agitate. Turn the large center pulley in the other direction and the pulley should move up the tranny shaft and push against the brake to release the brake so the washer can spin.

jeff sr.

Hardy

Premium Member
Thank you for your reply.
I had previously checked out the space betwee the inner/outer tank but there was nothing there (unless it's caught out of sight underneath).
The center pulley spins freely in CCW direction (when viewed from bottom) and the washer agitates.
When spun in CW direction , the center pulley moves freely up the transmission shaft for about ¼ to ¾ rotation ( varies with application) moving up vertically slightly as it rotates and then hits resistance and requires large amount of force to turn further....I can continue to force rotation with great effort and the transmission and tub will turn slightly.

How do I tell if the brake is releasing or not (if releasing then bearings?)

jeff1

Staff member
How do I tell if the brake is releasing or not

From underneath you can see it...pulley and pulley bearing push up against the brake and the inside of the brake moves slightly. Bad brake, bad thrust/pulley bearing, bad tub bearing, bad tranny can also stop it from moving in the spin direction.

jeff sr.

Hardy

Premium Member
Thank-you again for your help....last question

I turned the washer upside down and sprayed penetrating oil on the tub bearing where the transmission contacts outer tub. It seems to have helped a lot and I can rotate the large pulley CW somewhat easier (not sure if enough though and am planning to leave upside down overnight.
So it appears that bearing was seized (not sure yet if I will need to replace).
So...
- the rubber ring in the tub (which surrounds the bearing) rotates when I turn the large pulley- do you know if it is suppose to do that?
- on Sunday I visited Home Depot and spun the tubs in the much much newer washers.... the tubs freewheeled, spinning rapidly for quite a while after I let the tub go- do you know if my old Maytag is suppose to freewheel like that ....it presently stops when I stop rotating the large pulley

Thank-you again for your help

jeff1

Staff member
the rubber ring in the tub (which surrounds the bearing) rotates when I turn the large pulley- do you know if it is suppose to do that?

Bearing and the rubber outer shell should stay still and the tranny turns inside the bearing....kinda sounds like the bearing is turning with the tranny :(

do you know if my old Maytag is suppose to freewheel like that

It should not, the brake is always on holding it still.

jeff sr.

Hardy

Premium Member
Well I managed to remove the tubs quite easily using a chisel ( didn't want to buy a spanner wrench for one-time use). The seals were clearly leaking and the tub bearing seized onto transmission shaft.
With parts at ~$200 ( almost what I paid for it used +20 years ago) it looks like I'm buying a new washer...hope my new one will last as long!

jeff1

Staff member
Best of luck with the new washer!
Thankx for the update :)

jeff sr.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.