OLD SKOOL Hotpoint - need some help please

mountainbiker33

Premium Member
Model Number
1CTFG617J4
I am not sure the age of this fridge but it is AVOCADO GREEN! I am guessing 70's. It is in great shape but the relay on the compressor disintegrated. I can't seem to get this relay anymore (I am assuming the overload is still good). Are there any suggestions? I would hate to just dump this thing. It runs on a jump capacitor. Can I just run it on one of those generic white and black overloads with a block relay?

Attachments

• IMG-3319.jpg
    IMG-3319.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 23
  • image_67147777.JPG
    image_67147777.JPG
    363.4 KB · Views: 26

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

This is an start relay, overload and start capacitor all built into one.

pro-3-in-1-tj90rco410-ap4503017_01_l.jpg
LINK> 3 in 1 Relay Combo Kit

Figuring out which is Common, Start and Run.

A copy:

Read from the top terminal to the lower left terminal. Read from the top terminal to the lower right terminal. Read from the lower left terminal to the lower right terminal. Write down the resistance of each reading as you go. The highest reading you get will be the run and start winding of the compressor in series with each other. The other terminal left will be the common terminal. Read from the common terminal to each of the other terminals. The terminal with the lower resistance will be the run winding. The higher resistance the start winding.

jeff sr.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check out the used ones Dan posted above.

jeff sr.

mountainbiker33

Premium Member
That solid state relay will probably work on it. The fridge appears to use an older GE 'barrel' type compressor. While discontinued, I was surprised to find several new/old stock of the original type relays still available:

LINK > GE/Hotpoint OEM Refrigerator Relay WR7X106

Thanks Dan O.! I really appreciate it. I hope I can get this thing running! I just don't really want to put one of those Aftermarket solid states on there. I think that is a little Busch League sometimes.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I just don't really want to put one of those Aftermarket solid states on there. I think that is a little Busch League sometimes.

I usually recommend an OEM part if available unless there are extenuating circumstances to try something else. A solid state relay is often a last resort or a way to complete a job on the first visit to save costs. They can be a lifesaver. I was really surprised any OEM relays were still kicking around.

Good luck!

Dan O.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.