• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Old Speed Queen, Leaks, No Brake

opcartmell

Premium Member
Model Number
AA4411
Brand
Speed Queen
I would like to repair this old washer if feasible. I know it's old but the simplicity of this mechanism is amazing.

There are two problems:

1. The washer leaks from the wash tub in the wash and spin cycles. What parts are needed and how do I get the agitator out of the basket in order to replace the parts?

2. The tub spins in the agitator cycle. I know the brake is supposed to hold the tub stationary What part(s) would need replaced and any tips on getting to these parts? Also, the tub does not stop spinning quickly when the lid is opened.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Doing this job is very time consuming, so allow plenty of time. Also after 15 years of use the inner tub parts can corrode and be extremely difficult to remove. Just a word of warning.:)

Here's the tub seal kit for your model you can order(Instructions Included)
R9900552 Kit, Hub & Seal

This link should help too: American A/C & Appliance

2. The tub spins in the agitator cycle. I know the brake is supposed to hold the tub stationary What part(s) would need replaced and any tips on getting to these parts? Also, the tub does not stop spinning quickly when the lid is opened.
You would need the new brake pad kit.

Here's the brake pad kit for your model you can order:
R9900543 Brake Pad Kit

Read Jeff's link here: Amana Speed Queen Washer Help | Appliance Aid

Jake

opcartmell

Premium Member
Thanks for the information. Won't be trying right away since vacation is starting but will keep you posted on progress.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake

opcartmell

Premium Member
Have returned from vacation and after careful reading about this washer and its repair I've decided I can probably do this if I can get the agitator off. Any tips on how to do that after so many years of use? Also any tips on removing the balance springs from the tub. Lastly, since the washer will be so disassembled, should I just go ahead and replace the belt? All help is appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Put a rope or old pants belt underneath the agitator and pull it up, becareful not to have your head in the way when you do that, I've have them pop up very fast and hit me in the head, not a fun experience.:)

Also any tips on removing the balance springs from the tub.
Yup, you need a special tool for that, you can order it here:
SpeedQueen 321P4 Tool, Spr Hook

Lastly, since the washer will be so disassembled, should I just go ahead and replace the belt?
Yes, but lets make sure you can dissemble this washer without having to break stubborn parts off before you order it, like I mentioned after years of use these washers are the hardest to dissemble of any brand because of stubborn parts that wouldn't come off.

Jake

opcartmell

Premium Member
Jake, This morning a new problem; the washer won't agitate. Motor runs and belt seems to be intact. Washer spins and the pump runs so we were able to drain the wash and rinse water. Any further suggestions?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

opcartmell

Premium Member
Jake I have the agitator off and the bell looks good. Also, when I turn the bell by hand the tub turns. Yesterday I gave the agitator a tug and maybe loosened it enough that it wouldn't engage the bell and therefore wouldn't agitate. If I bypass the fill switch can I make the washer agitate without water in the tub? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

opcartmell

Premium Member
Fortunately, the agitator still works so the transmission is working, also.

Any tips for removing the drive bell? I've tried prying with a claw hammer without success. I know a tool is available for this but the price would make the repair not feasable.

Also, how do you remove the plastic tub rings from the outer and inner tubs?

Thanks.

opcartmell

Premium Member
I am down to removal of the upper seal having removed the agitator and drive bell. Now I'm trying to remove the lower part of the upper seal. Can you suggest a method to remove that part. BTW, the parts that came off after removing the drive bell don't look anything at all like the parts pictured in the drawings in your previous messages. In the parts you've shown the upper seal seems to be one part; however, I removed a spring as well as a ring-like washer. Have the parts changed over the years?

Thanks again.

opcartmell

Premium Member
Jake, With a little luck I've been able to get down to removal of the hub nut. I've soaked it with PB Blaster for 24 hours and still can't get it to budge. Likewise, four bolts holding the inner tub to the hub won't budge. Do you have any tips for removal ? Any suggestions for holding the tub stationary while turning the hub nut and the screws. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your model is a older design, so yes that's why there may be changes in parts compared to the service manual I posted.

Sounds like your getting there, I always use Liquid Wrench on those hard to remove hub nuts, let it soak in good and overnight, use liberally.

Jake

opcartmell

Premium Member
Jake, I have the hub nut off and the inner basket out and am now trying to remove the hub from the transmission. I have a puller on it an it doesn't seem to want to budge. Is the hub threaded or is it just pressed onto the transmission? Am I missing something? Any hints or suggestions? Seems like I'm close to knowing whether I can fix it with new parts.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It should be just pressed onto the transmission, this will be the hardest part to remove, if the puller isn't making any progress then your pretty much out of luck, unless you cut it off which will be a job in itself.

Jake

opcartmell

Premium Member
Jake, Using the puller this thing did not budge. Several friends recommended using heat to loosen the hub, but I was reluctant to use a torch inside the house. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot in tackling this project, but it is not to be. Thanks for sticking with me on this. Donation made.

New washer and dryer being delivered today. I doubt we'll get 30 years of service out of the new ones.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

Several friends recommended using heat to loosen the hub, but I was reluctant to use a torch inside the house.
Yes, I agree with you on that.:)

New washer and dryer being delivered today. I doubt we'll get 30 years of service out of the new ones.
Sounds good, I'm afraid the days of appliances lasting 30 years are long gone. Now its more like 15 years or less, unfortunately.

Jake