Old Window/Attic Fan keeps Siezing Up

Checkov

Premium Member
I obtained an old box window fan from a house I bought that was scheduled to be demolished. It was in the garage attic. I've had it probably 10 years and it's quite old, I'm guessing 1970s.

I cleaned it up and it worked well. Very powerful. By running it I can move very much air through the house. I use it in the late evening and early morning to cool the house down and by doing so we only need AC a few months of the year (Summer in the Louisville Ky area can be brutal). LOL as a matter of fact I've had neighbors tell me that they can't believe we survive by only using a window fan like we do on some warm weeks.

So now the problem:

In the past I've only had to oil it once a year, in the spring. This year as I started it after a light oiling it would barely move, so I re-oiled it and it seemed to work. The next morning it was siezed again, the motor would hum and the blades would barely move. So I googled it and thought it only needed more oiling. A liberal oiling. So I partially disassembled it (again) and oiled the heck out of it. I used Penetrating rust oil, WD-40, and even motor oil. The blade spun freely and I was sure it was fixed. That is until yesterday morning, it now hums and barely moves again!

They say one definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect different results. I think I'm almost at that point so I believe I'm done with disassembly and oiling.

Does anyone have a thought as to what could have worn out? I'm guessing some part, like a bearing and fresh oil can get it to work temporarily. After about a day that oil seeps out enough that the friction becomes too great for it to work again. I say that becuase the fan does have a considerable amount of resistance to my hand when it stops functioning.

What should I try? I know I could throw it away and go buy a cheap box fan but this old thing is/was nice. Temp setting, 6 speeds (3 intake, 3 exhaust) and one just doesn't see many lIke it around anymore.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This is out of my expertise, but someone maybe able to assist you.

Take some photos of it and upload them here.:)

Jake

Checkov

Premium Member
Thanks but let's close this one. I took the unit to the only AC motor repair/remanufacture within 100 miles , that I know of. They said it would be $75 minimum and a risky repair for a few reasons: 1. The actual fan blade is plastic and they would have to lever on it to pull it off the shaft and he said at that age it would likely break 2.he said old bearings are no longer in stock in most places and would be expensive. He then said since oiling only works briefly the bearings are probably pitted and scarred which allows the oil to seep out so fast so I would probably need new bearings.

So I just gave him the fan and he seemed very happy which unsettled me just a bit. He said he would use it for parts and recycle the rest. I hope I don't see it for sale tomorrow for $200! �� (I kind of doubt it as the fan cover and metal adjustable sides are at home still).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I hope I don't see it for sale tomorrow for $200!
LOL, yea, or even $2000? it could of been a rare one, but you never know until you research it.:)

Jake