Older Maytag agitate "frozen"

DIY-Maytag

Premium Member
Here is the problem;
The washer is a Maytag model LAT 3914 about 10 years old. I had a problem with it not spinning and “smoking” the drive belt. After replacing both belts I realized the drain pipe (in the house), was plugged not allowing the drum to drain quickl enough putting extra work “slip” on the drive belt. The plumbing problems have been resolved but now the washer won’t agitate. It spins and drains fine but the belt just slips on the motor pulley during agitate cycle. I can pull more tension on the motor carriage but it loads the motor until the RPM falls down and the start windings kick in.

I hope someone has had a similar experience or knows where to start. Mechanical things challenge me and I am not afraid to dive in, and am sure I will find the problem but was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction.

Last edited:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

DIY-Maytag

Premium Member
Jeff,

Thanks for the reply.
<O:p
After posting I kept trying to get it to agitate by pulsing the lid switch and it would turn the agitator 10 degrees and stop with each power pulse. I could see it move through its cycle then return, one step at a time as I pulsed the switch. I did this several times throughout several hours. Just as I was packing it in for the night I hit the power button one last time and it started agitating absolutely normal. I let it run the whole cycle with clothes and it did it all just fine including the agitation during the rinse.
<O:p
If this problem is common then I am assuming it will “lock” again in the future???
The parts you show in your post are the complete transmission, at $200+ I might be better off replacing the whole washer since it is already 10 years old. Are there parts inside the transmission that can be replaced?

jeff1

Staff member
If this problem is common then I am assuming it will “lock” again in the future???
You are correct, the problem usually doesn't "just go away".

The parts you show in your post are the complete transmission, at $200+ I might be better off replacing the whole washer since it is already 10 years old.
If you DIY the repair would be worth while, to call someone in to do this for you would bring the cost of the repair closer to a new washer price.

Are there parts inside the transmission that can be replaced?
Yes. For us ( appliance techs ) the cost of individual parts/oil/seals/labour vrs the cost the getting the whole tranny is not even close....the whole tranny wins every time.

jeff.

DIY-Maytag

Premium Member
This being a "common" problem it seems that someone would know what fails inside the trans.

Changing out whole components is a way to fix things and is very common in todays world. I was hoping to find someone who knew the inner workings of this trans.

I will not replace the whole unit and am sure I can fix it for a lot less than $200.

jeff1

Staff member
This being a "common" problem it seems that someone would know what fails inside the trans
You will need to find someone that rebuilds the newer trannys. I'll only rebuild the older trannys for my laundrymat machines and do not repair the newer plastic gear ones.

Parts breakdown of the tranny

jeff.

DIY-Maytag

Premium Member
I’m not sure how many are reading this but here is an update.
I have not yet opened the tranny to “explore”. The machine has been working …sort of. When it has been sitting several days on the first agitation cycle the belt slips on the motor pulley. If I apply tension on the belt by pulling on the motor slide it acts like it wants to turn but the motor drops down in RPM and kicks in the start windings. If I coax it I can get a few agitation cycles at a time each one getting easier until after about a minute of this it will agitate on its own. Once running on it’s own it will run through complete cycles all day with no attention. I have left it sitting for an hour or two and it will work normal without any coaxing. After a day of sitting it needs a little coaxing but only a little then it is fine the rest of the day. After 2 – 3 days of no running it takes significantly more coaxing. When it is working there are no unusual noises.

My conclusion is a bearing on the agitation shaft is in bad shape and binds up after sitting without lubrication. Anyone else have an idea?