• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Open door error on Whirlpool WOC54EC0AS01 microwave/oven combo

lanb

Premium Member
Model Number
WOC54EC0AS01
Brand
Whirlpool
I have the "door open" error with the Whirlpool WOC54EC0AS01 microwave/oven combo on my microwave and
wanted to replace the door switches as that seems to be the common failure based on threads here.

I took out the 4 long screws attaching the combo frame to the cabinet but can only
combo pull the unit forward 3-4 inches.

It seems to get stuck on something else after that. Could there be some other screws that I need to take out.
I don't think it is the power supply line holding it back as there is some play there.

Also, is there a way to take just the microwave out from the combo as the issue is only with the microwave.

Any tips/ideas appreciated as I don't want to damage the unit.

Thanks in advance !

lanb

Premium Member
Hmm, I seem to have the same problem as Combo stuck except in my whirlpool unit, it appears that I need to pull both the
microwave and oven out at the same time.

Any suggestions welcome :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, this is a style I have never repaired before, I can ask our tech bigbuck if he has the service manual.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

lanb

Premium Member
Thank you sir !

Any idea on why the combo is not sliding out of the cabinet ? Need to get it out first :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have no clue why it's not sliding out of the cabinet, maybe you need to pull hard WITH A HELPER. LOL

Do you have someone that can help you pull it out?

Jake

lanb

Premium Member
Yeah, maybe it just needs to be pulled out hard. Just surprised that a couple of others had the same issue before.
(wish they posted their outcome).
I ordered one of those cheap USB snake cameras. Plan to take a look using that to shed some light on the issue
before using brute force :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, yes keep us posted.:)

Jake

lanb

Premium Member
So, the usb camera arrived and it turns out that the issue was those little plastic tabs on the legs.
The tab was hitting the lip of the cabinet when we tried to slide it out (see pic).

We were able to slide the oven out by lifting it up a bit on both sides.

Attachments

• mw_pic1.jpg
    mw_pic1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 35

lanb

Premium Member
On to the real issue now...

I opened up the top and also found the service tech sheet taped to the side.
If I am reading the service tech sheet correctly, I am looking for the interlock switches J and K in the diagram
(mw_pic2 photo).

Are those switches below the plastic covering the Magnetron, as I can't seem to find them next to the
blue ribbon cable (mw_pic3 photo) ? If yes, it seems like a big task to remove the plastic coverings off the Magnetron.
What is the circuit board (CSSMI1404801568) between the ribbon cable and Magnetron cover ?

Am I on the right track or are the door switches elsewhere in this model and/or any ideas on how to
get to them is appreciated.

BTW, the service tech sheet has the number W10425195C

Attachments

• mw_pic4.jpg
    mw_pic4.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 34
  • mw_pic3.jpg
    mw_pic3.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 39
  • mw_pic2.jpg
    mw_pic2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

lanb

Premium Member
I think I figured it out. I believe the switch is on the side as shown in the parts video posted above
except there are two side panels to remove (outer shell and then the microwave side panel).

To do that, I think I need to slide the entire oven out and remove the panels per instructions in section 4-6
of the PDF that Jake posted.

Given the weight of the unit, what do you guys use to slide and rest it on while working on it ?
I don't have enough muscle power with me to move the unit to the floor and lift it back up.

I need to find something that is about 21" tall and sturdy to slide the unit on to. :(

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, Like I said above you will need a helper.:)

Don't try to muscle it down on your own, too many injuries happen like that.

I have not taken one of these apart as of yet, so all I can do if refer you to the service manual I posted above for disassembly procedures.

Jake

lanb

Premium Member
We finally took the entire unit out and accessed the switches on the side (yes, had to remove the two side panels)
and tested them. Both switches tested fine for continuity.
Just to be safe, I got a couple of new ones from the local parts place, tested and replaced them.

Still the same "door open" error as before :( . What else should I check for that could be wrong ?

P.S. - We did test the big fuse that the door switches were feeding into and it also has continuity.

Attachments

• switch_pic.jpg
    switch_pic.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I need to ask Rick. I don't work on Microwaves. Rick and Jeff do.

Remember the service manual I posted is in post #4. Rick has been under the weather, so that's why I was trying my best to help you get it disassembled to at least check the door switches.

Jake

Last edited:

lanb

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, really appreciate all your help here and to the community. Hope Rick feels better soon.

I was looking at the service manual posted earlier to see if I could enter the "diagnostics mode"
(2-3) for the microwave but there is no home or favorites button.
Based on this thread I then tried cancel -> cancel -> start on the microwave - no dice but doing
the same on the oven buttons got me to the "test on" screen
but not sure if that is for the microwave too and/or how to proceed as there is no menu option.

Do you know how to enter the diag mode for the microwave ? I think the service manual posted
is for 2017 and above combos (WOC54EC0H) while mine is a 2013/2014 and WOC54EC0A

Thanks again !

Attachments

• control_panel.jpg
    control_panel.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 24
  • test_mode.jpg
    test_mode.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 30

lanb

Premium Member
Also, just wanted to mention that this model seems to have only two switches (which I replaced)
- both on the right side - as seen in the pic of post #13

Let me know if there should be a third switch hidden somewhere.

lanb

Premium Member
Based on Rick's reply on the other thread, looks like the control board with the 4903 relay is most likely the problem.
Any way I can test the relay or the board before ordering a new one ?

The board part # is W10586836.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hold on, I'll will ask Rick, hes feeling better today.

Jake

lanb

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I just came to post that the problem is resolved.

It was actually a door switch issue as you guys originally suspected.
Apparently, this oven combo also has 3 switches just like the Kitchenaid.
My wife was the one who thought about this and made me open the left side to check.
Hurray for smart wives !!

After removing the left two panels, there was a third switch which tested at 005 when closed,
while the good ones tested at 001 when closed.
Replaced the faulty switch and voila, the closed door issue got resolved.

Moral of the story -
1) All of these microwaves have 3 of these switches even if the Repairclinic video only shows 2.
2) These switches seem to be very sensitive, a reading of 005 vs. 001 is bad.

Thanks again to you and Rick in being so friendly and spending your time advising novices like me.

Attachments

• left_switch.jpg
    left_switch.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear your wife helped you find the other door switch on the other side.(y)

Here's the parts diagram that shows the door switch #15 on both sides:
I was not aware of that either as I didn't look at this parts diagram beforehand, sorry about that.

Thanks for the update!

Jake