• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

oven heat

brad01

Our Maytag- MAgic Chef electric oven/range Oven will not shut off. Tried to reset the oven by shutting off power, also by using broiler/timer/temp control. Nothing worked. Oven stays on.

Any ideas? HAs anybody seen this problem?

Thanks

Jae

Premium Member
Scary oven

I've had this magic chef oven for 15 years in my apartment. I estimate it's at least 20-25 years old, if not older. The other night it turned itself on in the middle of the night and went over 550 degrees ( I have thermometor in oven). I believe it would have burned down the house if i didn't wake up. I had to turn the gas off behind the oven to get it to stop. My landlord is an ass and told me it was my fault. I explained that I hadn't turned the oven on in about a week but he still insisted that I somehow caused this. He sent his minions to fix it but i'm still frightened by the whole thing. Even though they "fixed it", I'm scared to sleep so I turned the gas off again. Any suggestions?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Even though they "fixed it"

What did they find?

The other night it turned itself on in the middle of the night and went over 550 degrees

While rare, this can/could happen to any range/oven at any given time....usually comes under "it" happens.

While I understand your concerns, I won't loose any sleep worrying about our range.

jeff.