• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

Over-the-Range Microwave door latch broken

Bobby&Ruth

Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My wife and I purchased a Kenmore over-the-range microwave in April 2011. A mere 16 months later, the door latch has broken. It's not as if we are heavy microwave users but it's only been a short amount of time that we've owned the microwave. In the last 5 years we have purchased 5 Kenmore appliances and nearly all of them have required a repair since their installation. This microwave issue is extremely disappointing. Kenmore states on their website that they care if their customers are "satisfied" with their products. If they're not satisfied, Kenmore wants to know about it. So my wife called a Customer Care number for Kenmore to express her deep dissatisfaction with the product quality and the fact that we have had two repair people out to our home to try and fix the problem. The first guy came out nearly 5 weeks ago to assess the situation and he ordered some parts. Those parts arrived 1 week later and then the 2nd repair person came out 2 weeks after that. To our dismay, this person said that the wrong parts had been ordered and that he would have to order different parts. Today we received a message on our machine saying that the part that we need to repair our broken microwave is on backorder and won't be delivered until October 3rd. We have already been without a microwave for 5 weeks and now we have to wait 6 more weeks for the part and probably another 1 or 2 weeks for it to be repaired!! Simply unacceptable. My wife spoke to a woman named Tori who very nicely offered us a gift card for $35 or $40 to go out and buy a new microwave to use while we wait for our Kenmore to be repaired. I am at the point now where, if we do decide to buy a new microwave, it won't be a microwave to use while we wait. It will be a microwave to replace this one. When we purchased all of our appliances, I bragged to my wife about buying from Sears because we have a local store and it would be easy to get parts. Hmmmm, it seems my credibility with her is in jeopardy based on this situation. Believe me, it's not a situation I want to find myself in again.
I'd love to hear what Sears Kenmore has to say about our level of dissatisfaction with the product and the difficult situation in which we have found ourselves.:mad:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sears doesn't make anything. All the appliances that have "Kenmore" on them were manufactured by another company for Sears. Two manufactures that have recently entered the major appliance manufacturing market are Samsung and LG. Both in my opinion (and many other service techs) are inferior products and very difficult to get parts for. The 401. in your microwave model number indicates the unit was manufactured by Samsung.