• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

P2S920SEF1SS GE oven sticks in clean mode, control says close door.

Johnic

Premium Member
Model Number
P2S920SEF1SS
Brand
GE
I’m working on a GE gas cooktop and electric convection oven. The owner states they were in the middle of the automatic oven mode cleaning process when the problem occurred. They claimed to have gotten an F 91 code, however, the technical data sheet does not show an F 91 code only an F 90 or F 92. They shut the breaker off and left it set for about a half an hour and turned it back on. Now the door lock symbol flashes and when you try to do certain functions such as reset the clock or try to enter a cleaning mode again, a message comes up “shut door.”

After studying the whole system to things that I found interesting were the motor for the oven lock ohmed out at 1.99 k ohms and the temperature probe for the oven is showing OL on my meter.

Am I overlooking something? Also, how do you get the door off while it’s locked?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I found interesting were the motor for the oven lock ohmed out
Did anyone check switch attached to the latch motor or the door switch's contacts? I'd think either of those might be suspect if a door message is displayed.

Johnic said:
how do you get the door off while it’s locked?
You mean how do you get the door open? The latch might have to be accessed and manually manipulated to release it. I don't know how you'd go about that though.

Dan O.

Last edited:

Johnic

Premium Member
The door motor is reading 1.99 k ohms. To open the the door in an unlocked situation is a certain circumstance is a certain procedure, what is that?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I don't know that there is specific procedure to open the door when the latch is latched and is malfunctioning. If there is, I don't know what it is. Sorry.

Maybe someone has a service manual for that model they can post?

Dan O.

Johnic

Premium Member
The technical manual that came with the stove said the code was for the door latch motor, remove stovetop and remove door. I got the stove top but I couldn’t figure out the door. 🤔 The door needs to be removed to get at the motor assembly.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Johnic said:
The technical manual that came with the stove said the code was for the door latch motor
You said before that that code was not listed, " the technical data sheet does not show an F 91 code only an F 90 or F 92".

Johnic said:
The door needs to be removed to get at the motor assembly.
I don't know why the door would need to be removed to service the latch mechanism. But if it does, the procedure is in the owner's manual on page 28.

Attachments

Last edited:

Johnic

Premium Member
The door lock mechanism mounts to an L-shaped bracket which bolts behind the door. The door is locked I cannot be open so let’s assume we cannot do step one on page 28. If I would’ve gotten that far I would’ve been able to figure out how to open the door and take it off the hinges.
Perhaps I will go back and wrestle with the lock mechanism again. Given the original situation, I’m still uncertain whether this is a control issue or a control issue and a motor issue.

Johnic

Premium Member
Thanks Buck, this is the one that I got with the oven. Notice how for the door latch motor mechanism it says remove oven door. The oven door is locked and it is unable to be removed. So it’s kind a hard for me to get to the mechanism. This is where I’m stuck, removing the oven door while it’s locked or unlocking the door.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Johnic said:
The door is locked I cannot be open so let’s assume we cannot do step one on page 28.
You first posted asking how to remove the door. I said "You mean how do you get the door open? The latch might have to be accessed and manually manipulated to release it. I don't know how you'd go about that though."

I also previously said, "I don't know that there is specific procedure to open the door when the latch is latched and is malfunctioning. If there is, I don't know what it is. Sorry. "

If the latch is latched you're not going to get the door off. You have to unlatch the latch ... whatever that takes. You might need to use some ingenuity.

JMO

Johnic

Premium Member
I’m going to have to agree and and I don’t think I’m going to be able to get the door off without manipulating the lock in someway shape or form. I did ask about the door all the way back in the beginning, however, if we go back a little bit further I asked about the main computer and the lock symbol on the display. So as I go over this technically in my head if the lock mechanism is in the lock position. The main computer should be reading the microswitch is that the lock is in the lock position. It is not picking up on that state and when you try to push buttons on the controls it says shut door.
So I guess I’m looking for a little more reassurance to measure twice and hammer once. I believe I may have a computer issue and possibly a motor issue as well. If I am overlooking something please help me.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Are you serious? In my very first reply I said "Did anyone check switch attached to the latch motor or the door switch's contacts? I'd think either of those might be suspect if a door message is displayed."

Johnic

Premium Member
I’m sorry, I must’ve missed that. One switch I could check because I was able to change state of the switch. The other switch I could not check because I could not change state being that the door latch is in the locked position. If the second switch was bad, it is located and bolted on the bottom of the door latch motor which is attached to the L shaped bracket that bolts inside the oven door.