• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

P36S328BP Peerless Pro gas oven slow to heat and then under temperature by 75 degrees

Barbwoodco

Premium Member
Model Number
P36S328BP
I have a Premier Pro gas range (by Peerless Premier) that I am told was manufactured in 2005. In the past couple months the amount of time it has taken to get up to temperature has increased. I've worked around it by setting the temperature dial 75 degrees above the temperature I want and it makes it there in 35-45 minutes (so still not ideal, but faster than the hour plus it was taking). About a week ago, I wanted it at 350, so I set it to 425 and it stayed at 350 for 2-3 hours while we were baking cookies. Then after putting bread in I checked the temperature and it was at 425-450. I tried to repeat the experiment last night. It took the 35-45 minutes to get to 360 (I set the dial to 425) and then it stayed there for 3 hours. I have checked the oven capillary bulb (which seems to be the same thing as the thermostat) to be sure it was clipped in correctly, not touching the side of the oven and not covered in food, but that didn't change anything. I'm guessing it might need a new igniter as it glows immediately but doesn't light the whole strip for 45 seconds. I turned it off and tried again and it was 25 seconds. That said, do I have another issue related to the wrong temperature (which was correct previously) or could this all be a function of the igniter? I'm trying to price out what it would cost to fix this oven as it is simple without an electronic board for time and oven temp, just the knobs to set everything, which I love. But it is also 15 years old, which I believe is about the lifespan of a gas range/oven. Any help is much appreciated.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The closest model number I could find was p36s3282ps. Please double check it from the appliance's identification tag and also post its serial number as it is needed to look up parts for it and to see how it was designed.

I'm guessing it might need a new igniter as it glows immediately but doesn't light the whole strip for 45 seconds.

Does the oven use a glow ignitor? Most Premier ranges I've looked into use a spark ignition system.

On glow ignitor systems the oven burner should ignite within 60-90 seconds after the ignitor starts glowing. 45 seconds is pretty quick!

You can read about how common gas oven ignition systems work and the observations and tests necessary to start diagnosing problems with them at the following link:

LINK > Understanding Gas Oven Ignition Systems

Dan O.

Barbwoodco

Premium Member
The model number is correct, and discontinued. I had the same problem finding parts due to not finding a matching model number. Serial number is N654416/035. I believe it is a spark ignition system, as there is a spark at the igniter before it begins glowing. It then takes 45 seconds to light the burner. This model has a broiler drawer so all of this is easily visible.

The company did send me a parts manual .

Attachments

• 9AB3443C-E02A-4883-A1FC-CEDFE502B4B2.jpeg
    9AB3443C-E02A-4883-A1FC-CEDFE502B4B2.jpeg
    379.1 KB · Views: 13
  • B983FAE2-00DD-41EE-8EA0-6D590208F3D8.jpeg
    B983FAE2-00DD-41EE-8EA0-6D590208F3D8.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 15

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
As described at the link i provided previously, on a spark ignition system the spark ignites a pilot (actual flame) which then allows the main oven gas valve to open and let gas flow to the oven burner where the pilot flame ignites the main burner.

The burner slow to ingite could be caused by a poorly formed pilot flame, a dirty oven safety valve sensor bulb or a problem in the safety valve itself. I personally don’t consider 45 seconds excessive but I've never timed any other spark systems.

The temperature being inaccurate could only be caused by a malfunctioning thermostat if it isn't due to misplaced sensor bulb.

If the parts list is a PDF can you upload it here so we can see it?

Dan O.

Barbwoodco

Premium Member
Dan, sorry, I should have said that I think it is a spark ignition because there is a spark before the actual pilot lights (rather than glowing, poor choice of words when there is a different system that glows). I spent some time looking at the parts today and based on one of the part numbers they gave me for replacement, I can also verify that it is a spark ignition system.

I'm attaching the parts list below. I guess what I'm trying to determine is if it is just the thermostat, which would explain the faulty temperature measurement and needing to set the knob 75 degrees higher than I want it, or if there is another issue that has increased the warming time. I think it used to heat up in about 15-20 minutes and is now taking twice that time to get where I want it to (which is still not what I've set the knob at).

The thermostat is $120, which if that fixes my problem is a small price to pay for a stove that has worked well. But I am aware of the fact that it is 15 years old, so trying to balance the fixing with the life left in it (and the impact of junking an appliance). And I don't know, maybe 30-45 minutes is a normal amount of time for an oven to warm.

I can't say I usually timed it previously and when the problem first started it was taking 1+ hours to warm when I didn't bump the knob up 75 degrees higher than I wanted it. A friend had mentioned their gas range was slow to heat up and they needed to replace the ignitor, that was my impetus in asking about the ignitor, but perhaps it is fine.

Attachments

• PREMIER PARTS MANUAL P1034-06 (1).pdf
    526.7 KB · Views: 13

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Barbwoodco said:
I guess what I'm trying to determine is if it is just the thermostat, which would explain the faulty temperature measurement and needing to set the knob 75 degrees higher than I want it

I said:
The temperature being inaccurate could only be caused by a malfunctioning thermostat if it isn't due to misplaced sensor bulb.

LINK > Peerless Premier Oven Thermostat # 1195

Barbwoodco said:
or if there is another issue that has increased the warming time. I think it used to heat up in about 15-20 minutes and is now taking twice that time to get where I want it to

As long as the whole oven burner is fully engulfed in flame, it's getting as hot as it can as fast as it can (and is likely heating as fast as it ever did IMO).

The only thing that might result in longer heating times *provided the burner is always fully engulfed* is maybe heat escaping prematurely from the oven like from possibly leaking door seals or the door not closing properly.

If the burner is shutting off prematurely for some reason, that is something else and would have to be investigated. As long as the burner is always fully engulfed in blue flame when it should be heating, it's doing all it can do.

Do keep in mind the burner cycles on and off to maintain temperature once reached.

Dan O.

Last edited: