• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Panasonic NN-SD797S Microwave - Burn mark and smoking smell

Bianca

Premium Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2021
Messages
3
Location
Canada
Model Number
NN-SD797S
Brand
Panasonic
Age
1-5 years
Hello Everyone!

My microwave was making a burning smell and I'm fairly certain it's coming from this burn mark on the door/interior. Something must have gotten caught there and burnt. Some of the paint even ended up on the door. I have tried to clean it and the microwave no longer makes a smoking smell but I'd like to repair it. I believe it's as easy as sanding it down and using some touch up paint. I however cannot find the right paint!

Any idea what paint to use? Most appliance paints are for exteriors and I can't find something for interiors. Also is this the right fix?

Thanks!!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1190.jpeg
    IMG_1190.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1151.jpeg
    IMG_1151.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 19

Bianca

Premium Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2021
Messages
3
Location
Canada
The door is plastic. Would those work if that's the case? I'm hoping I can take a razor to it and scrape off the white paint that melted there.
 

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Joined
Oct 9, 2004
Messages
3,918
Location
Ontario, Canada
It looked metal from the pic. Parts of the door are plastic, other parts metal.

If it's just stuff stuck on the surface of the plastic, hopefully it can just be scraped off. Doing so shouldn't hurt its functioning.


Dan O.
 
Top