• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Panasonic NN-SD987S Microwave - Wire At Primary Latch Switch Burned Out

banamber

Premium Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2021
Messages
7
Location
Northeast, USA
Model Number
NN-SD987S
Brand
Panasonic
Age
6-10 years
About a month ago my Panasonic NN-SD987S microwave stopped working. The problem was the primary latch switch (P/N J61415G10XN / V-15G-3C25). The top terminal was cooked and the switch was blown out. So a couple weeks ago I replaced the switch and put a new female spade terminal on the burned wire.

Flash forward to today. Microwave stopped working again. Took the case off, and the wire that I put a new spade terminal on was fried. So I yet again replaced the spade terminal. I have a sneaking suspicion this is going to happen again.

Obviously somehow too much current is getting to that switch causing the wire to act like a fuse. Anyone have an idea of the ultimate problem? Thank you.
 

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
43,698
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States
So I yet again replaced the spade terminal.
Cut the burned wire back until the wire strands are shiny and not dull. Solder the terminal to the wire. Use high temp wire terminals. Make sure the connection on the switch is tight
 

banamber

Premium Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2021
Messages
7
Location
Northeast, USA
Sure, here you go.
 

Attachments

  • schematic.png
    schematic.png
    177.7 KB · Views: 27

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
43,698
Location
Murray, Utah 84107, United States
Obviously somehow too much current is getting to that switch causing the wire to act like a fuse.
Not obvious. If it was high current causing the problem the fuse would open. It sounds like a poor repair job. Re do the repair and try it again.
 
Top