• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED PAV2300AWW Maytag Performa Washer - Agitator / Spin Problem

Chillburgh

Premium Member
Model Number
PAV2300AWW
Brand
Maytag
Thanks for reading. I've already done much searching and reading, but I'm stuck.

Maytag Performa PAV2300AWW

I noticed that the washer didn't spin a couple of times so I started paying attention. Sometimes the agitator will move, sometimes not. Sometimes it will start moving and stop moving halfway through a cycle. The tub isn't spinning. It seems as though the agitator and tub work better when there are no clothes loaded but I don't have much data to work with here.

My research pointed me towards a bad thrust bearing. I replaced it using this video as my guide. The old thrust bearing assembly did not visually appear to be damaged in any way. The replacement procedure was straight-forward.

But after replacing the thrust bearing I am still having the same problem. So I tried spinning the pulley without the belt on to see what worked. Spinning it clockwise caused the agitator to slightly twitch back and forth. Spinning the pulley counter-clockwise did nothing - the tub did not spin or move at all. There were no noises and I didn't feel anything clanging.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It sure sounds like thrust bearing issue. Did you replace all the parts in the kit? I think the problem might be in the installation. Make sure all the parts were installed correctly. Let me ask you this question. How hard was the installation?
whirlpool-thrust-bearing-kit-12002213-ap4009132_01_l.jpg

Chillburgh

Premium Member
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I agree that it sounds like a thrust bearing. But I would think that the behavior would change even a bit if it were replaced.

The installation was not bad. Ive remodeled houses and repaired electronics and other appliances. I MAY be able to squeeze a thicker washer in there, but when I spun the pulley back and forth as a test to see where the arrow pointed, everything checked out. The arrow stopped in between the ridges as advised.

Honestly, if I took it apart and redid it, I'm not sure what I could do differently other than putting the thicker washer in there. But if this sounds like it isn't the belt or the tranny then I'll try again.

rickgburton

Staff member
The installation was not bad.
Ah ha! There's the problem and you nailed the fix! Jake and I know, if the installation isn't a PITA, it probably won't work. :LOL:
I MAY be able to squeeze a thicker washer in there,
Get a second person to sit in front of the machine, with the machine laying down on its front, have them use their foot to push against the agitator while you install the thicker spacer. That should solve the problem.

Chillburgh

Premium Member
Ah ha! There's the problem and you nailed the fix! Jake and I know, if the installation isn't a PITA, it probably won't work.
Well, I just meant that I didn't need to fetch a blowtorch or an angle grinder :)

I'll get the thicker washer in there.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ah ha! There's the problem and you nailed the fix! Jake and I know, if the installation isn't a PITA, it probably won't work. :LOL:
BINGO! Rick Nailed it! LOL

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
It's been a while since I've installed one but I can't tell you how many times I went with the thinner spacer only to take it apart and install the thicker one to make it work. lol

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Same with me Rick.:)

Jake

Chillburgh

Premium Member
Well, I got the thicker washer installed. Had my wife push down on the agitator just like you suggested - bought me another 1/32nd or so :)

But the problem still remains. It worked through the wash but stopped agitating during the rinse cycle and didn't spin. Stopping and starting the washer at different parts of the cycle caused it to start agitating again. I can hear the motor making the appropriate sounds during these periods of non-functionality - it just doesn't agitate or spin. There is no grinding or other unwelcome sound - the sound hasn't changed since it was working fine.

If you tell me to stack another washer on there ...

rickgburton

Staff member
it just doesn't agitate or spin.
OK, You could have a transmission issue so look over the thrust bearing instruction sheet just to make sure you didn't miss anything. I'll post it below. I'll explain how it works then you should be able to tell what it's doing or not doing.

When the drive pulley rotates CLOCKWISE, the upper and lower cams are designed to nest together which allows the drive pulley to remain in position on the drive shaft. The brake remains engaged and the drive pulley will turn the lower cam and drive the shaft to cause the transmission to agitate.

When the drive pulley rotates COUNTERCLOCKWISE, the upper cam and pulley ride up the lower cam approximately 3/16 of an inch before the driving shoulders on the pulley hub engage the "dogs" on the lower cam. This causes the top of the pulley hub to push against the spacer which compresses the brake spring and lifts the brake rotor and lining assembly off the brake stator. The brake is disengaged and the pulley will turn the lower cam and drive shaft to cause the transmission to spin.

Manually rotate the drive pulley in a slow counterclockwise direction until the brake starts to release and the transmission begins to turn. Counting the reference marks on the lower cam from right to left, the pulley hub shoulder should be positioned between reference marks 9 and 3, with 6 being the median. If the position of the pulley hub shoulder is not within these parameters and the brake has started disengaging, adjustment is required.
Snapshot_1.jpg

If the position of the pulley hub shoulder is less than 3 reference marks, remove the standard (.062) thrust washer and replace it with a thinner (.032) thrust washer.
If the position of the pulley hub shoulder is more than 9 reference marks, add a thrust washer (.032) to the standard thrust washer and recheck disengagement. I end up here probably nine out of ten times.

Attachments

• 12002213 thrust brg instruction sheet-16022521-reva.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 161

Chillburgh

Premium Member
Thanks again for the reply. I have not changed anything since my last post, but I did want to add something.

When I had the thin washer installed, manually turning the pulley in either direction only made the agitator move very slightly. Since I installed the thicker washer, when I turn the pulley in one direction the tub spins and in the other direction the agitator moves. So installing the thicker washer did indeed alter the performance and behavior.

Chillburgh

Premium Member
So it's working?
No, I'm just adding a piece of information to my last post. Nothing has changed yet since then. The last load I tried failed as described above, even though the pulley movements appear proper. I haven't had time to revisit yet.

Chillburgh

Premium Member
I didn't abandon this thread. There's only so much laundry to do for testing. :) It surely is improved. It seems that heavier loads have more problems than lighter loads. On lighter loads it seems to always complete the cycle properly. On heavier loads (read: towels) it has stopped agitating and spinning part way through the cycle. Of course, this is a very small sample size.

I'm still gathering info, but I wanted to update and thank yinz for your expertise and advice. It surely is significantly better.

Chillburgh

Premium Member
Your boomer humor aside, no - it wasn't overloaded. It was the same towel load that gets washed every time. Thanks for your help.

rickgburton

Staff member
it has stopped agitating and spinning part way through the cycle.
I must be missing something. Other than the thrust bearing there's nothing in common between agitate and spin. In one direction the transmission shaft turns the gears inside the transmission to make it agitate while the brake holds it in place. In the other direction the brake lets go and the pulley turns the shaft, trans, and inner tub as a unit.

Dwoodson

Having the same issue! I have taken it apart 15 times now trying to check and double check. Took the brake apart cleaned it and reassembled it. Still no dice. When turning the trans pulley, the plastic cam doesn't engage at all when trying to open the brake. Any help on this?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick has been out sick since Jan.12th with a serious illness, we are hoping and praying for a speedy recovery!

Do what Rick mentioned in post #10. Also check for a clothing item stuck IN-BETWEEN the INNER and OUTER tubs, that would also cause it to not spin.

Other than that, its possibly the transmission that has gone bad, (If it won't agitate either then it would be a bad transmission) or one of the spin bearings has seized up. What is the serial number of your washer?

Here's the transmission for your model:
35-6615 Ht Trans S

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.