• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

PAVT910AWW Maytag Performa washer locks up on agitate cycle

FredMalito4

Premium Member
Model Number
PAVT910AWW
Brand
Maytag
Good morning. I have just found this forum while perusing the web looking for help with my issue, and I would like to say a big thanks to those here who are willing to help. The following post is long, but I wanted to be as precise and detailed as possible.

I’m working on a Performa PAVT910AWW single belt driven washer that recently began displaying a weak spin cycle in December that belongs to my ex-wife. Considering the age of the machine, I decided to replace both bearings, the thrust washer kit, and the snubber ring to insure this would not require further maintenance in the near future. While waiting on parts, and trying to find the time to work on it, I got a test message that the washer was now “broken” from the ex’s nephew.

I assumed that message meant it had completely quit spinning, and did not ask for further clarification as there is a drastic language barrier. Today I replaced the aforementioned parts and re-assembled the machine, but ran into another unexpected issue following reassembly. The machine filled fine, but when it began agitating it was very noisy, and after a few minutes stopped agitating and began humming. It then seemed to go into a self protection mode and would not respond to timer input until it was turned to the “off” selection. It would then respond to timer inputs, but only if in a fill or spin cycle. Agitate would only get it to hum for a few seconds and go into protect.

I flipped it back and removed the drive belt. The pump and motor turn fine in either direction. I can turn the drum pulley in one direction and watch the pulley lift on it’s cam and spin the drum, but turning it the other way yields no results; it is locked in place. I did not have the wherewithal to determine which way it could be turned (counter- or clockwise).

I do not see any way something might have fallen into any internal mechanisms, while it was apart, and the overhaul went very smoothly otherwise. I am suspecting the message I received last week saying it was “broken” was not the spin cycle’s last gasp, but the transmission’s, and I didn’t catch that because I went into it today knowing the previous issues and assumed nothing had changed. Any ideas on this issue? Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Fred,

Your transmission is bad.

Here's the transmission for your model:
35-6615 Ht Trans S

Jake

FredMalito4

Premium Member
No doubt about it then? I don’t suppose overhaul kits are available for these, or do you know of a source? I’ve done a Google search, and found remanufactured units, so apparently parts are available somewhere, but I surely can’t find them.

Thank you for your response. You’d figure after all my years of auto repair, I’d have learned to verify a customer’s complaint and not go on prior known facts, even on the equipment in your own “stable”. Oh well, live and learn.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No doubt, its the transmission.

I don’t suppose overhaul kits are available for these, or do you know of a source?
I have no clue Fred, as techs we only replace the OEM transmission. We tell the customer your looking at over $500 for a new transmission including labor, and they say time for a new washer.:)

Basic washers start at $499.

Jake

FredMalito4

Premium Member
Right, it’s difficult to argue that logic! I hate to see machines die though, and since I am free labor, why not keep in in service? “Go Green” seems the be the hip thing these days, so why not? Humor aside, I hate going to the dump and seeing all the relatively new, very clean appliances off to be recycled. We are so wasteful, and big corporations are quite to blame for it with their planned obsolescence, disposable/un-repairable (or at least cost prohibitive) products, refusal to release repair information, and absurd cost of parts. Not inly does it hurt the consumers, and the environment, but we the technicians as well!

All that aside, I sincerely thank you all for your efforts here, and your willingness to help. I will pull the transmission and see what I can find inside. Perhaps I can find parts, but if not, I did find the reman unit that keeps the price reasonable and cost effective.

Thanks again, and good night!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Fred, glad to help.(y)

Jake

FredMalito4

Premium Member
Low and behold I did find a main drive gear for the transmission at an appliance store, but when I opened the transmission up, it was utter carnage! This thing looked like a grenade went off inside it. There's no fixing this without a 3D printer! Oh well, reman transmission ordered. Thanks for all your help, though! It was very much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 7

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
WOW, that is weird Fred!

So you ordered the transmission in my post #2?

Jake

FredMalito4

Premium Member
That is the model my manual referenced as well, yes. The one I purchased was a remanufactured unit with a complete bearing and seal kit, which was a bit unfortunate as I already had installed those items, but I guess I can sell them online. I doubt I'll ever have an excuse to do this job again, or at least I hope not! It was $150 shipped. Hopefully it works out, as the whole machine only cost $100 10 years ago. Thank you again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Got it Fred! Thanks!

Just make sure you can get a full refund if the remanufactured unit is defective. There is a HUGE price difference between the brand new one I posted in post #2, and the remanufactured unit. That always sends up a red flag when its that HUGE a price difference, you know what I mean?

Jake

FredMalito4

Premium Member
I do, and I agree. However, investing that amount of money in a device that cost 1/5 of the coat of repair is not an intelligent choice, no matter how badly I like to bring things back to life! It is unfortunate that manufacturers choose to charge the exorbitant amount that they do for repair parts so that we are forced to be so wasteful. I despise this practice.