• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Payne PG9MAA036060 - Error code 12

buriboi

Premium Member
Model Number
PG9MAA036060
Brand
-major brand-
Hi all,

Before I blow some ungodly sum on an after-hours callout, I'm looking for some quick advice.

My PG9MAA036060 Payne gas furnace isn't turning on at all when I call for heat at the thermostat.

Opening it up, when I turn the power off and then on again, the red LED is flashing 1 short, 2 long. That code is listed on the inside of the door as "BLOWER ON AFTER POWER UP - Blower runs for 90 seconds, if unit is powered up during a call for heat (R-W closed) or R-W opens during blower on-delay." So this is not the issue.

But when I turn the power off and on again, the error code eventually changes from that start-up 1-2 to the *real* code: 3 short, 4 long:

"IGNITION PROVING FAILURE"

This error code has a whole paragraph afterwards with a million different possible issues (oxide buildup, defective gas valve, defective hot surface ignitor, low inlet gas pressure, etc, etc...). Furnace tries to cycle 3 more times, then the 1-4 lockout code.

Sounds like I need an HVAC tech. Any quick checks for a newbie before shelling out the big bucks? $$$

Thanks!

Last edited: