• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED PBF1951KEW Both Freezer and Refrigerator sides are warm

Doug1962

Premium Member
Model Number
PBF1951KEW
Brand
Maytag
Hello guys. I'm new and not sure if Im doing it right but I needs help Please. I have a Maytag Performa, Bottom freezer type. I came home today and all my stuff was warm..Both frig and freezer both are not work...Lights work good. I was able to find the defrost timer and when turned it clicks. Also, I looked around the compressor and nothing looks or smells bad. The fan turns freely...At this point, im lost.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
So the only thing working is the lights? The evaporator fan in the freezer is not running and the compressor and condensor fan are also not running. Is that correct?

rickgburton

Staff member
In the refrigerator section behind the control knob is a small hole to access the defrost timer. Use a flat blade screwdriver in the hole and slowly turn the screwdriver clockwise (the timer dial will only turn in one direction) one click at a time and see if the machine turns on.

WP67001036 Timer, Defrost

Doug1962

Premium Member
Im my initial request for help, I stated that I found the defrost timer and turned it until it clicked. It made not difference. Thanks for that..Any other ideas? The only other two things I have read about are the cap/relay..and the timer in the freezer...Would either of the parts cause the problem?

rickgburton

Staff member
Since the compressor and fans are not working and the defrost timer is good the problem is most likely the cold control. It's common for the contacts to stick. Sometimes just hitting the knob with your hand is enough to jar the contacts. Check it for continuity with your meter.
WP67003000 Control Fz Temp

Doug1962

Premium Member
So I have replaced the relay/capacitor and the cold control...still not working..only the lights...I would like to keep this frig as it was the coldest one I have ever had...any more idea's? thx

Doug1962

Premium Member
Ok so update, I left it plugged in and it came on and is running..Does it take a few minutes to start up when you change the cold control? And thanks allot for your help

rickgburton

Staff member
Doug1962 said:
Im my initial request for help, I stated that I found the defrost timer and turned it until it clicked. It made not difference.
OK, but you never checked it. The defrost timer is the problem. Replace it and you'll be good to go. If you want to check it with a meter I'll post a diagram.

rickgburton

Staff member
Is it still working? What I think happened is the defrost contacts are sticky and stuck together when it came out of defrost or the timer motor is weak and couldn't rotate the cam out of defrost.
Defrost timer circuit.jpg

Doug1962

Premium Member
Still working as of yesterday. I replaced the cold control TSAT and it didn't come on right away. I left it plugged up and noticed about 20 minutes later the fan was running and it was getting cold. The freezer knob is not lined up with the numbers..Would the wires being plugged up wrong do that? The part was not identical so I'm not 100 percent sure they didn't get crossed, but I read that it did not matter.

rickgburton

Staff member
The freezer knob is not lined up with the numbers....The part was not identical
Did you get it from the link I gave you? Is it a two wire thermostat? The wire positions shouldn't matter. There is no delay in the thermostat. What might have happened is when you turned the defrost timer you put it in defrost mode. When you replaced the control it was still in defrost mode. The defrost t-stat would keep the heater from turning on but it still had to go through the 20-25 minute defrost cycle.

Doug1962

Premium Member
Very possible..Thank you for all your help. It appears that all is good..I love this frig..It gets very cold...Cheap repair as replacing would have cost much more...