• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

PCS366 Thermador cooktop igniter electrics question

JeremyC1

Premium Member
Model Number
PCS366
Brand
Thermador
We have a Thermador 6 burner gas cooktop. The igniters/burners are controlled by two boxes -
1. Thermador Cooktop Gas Simmer Control Part # SQ003, and
2. 6 Point Gas re-igniter (RI 326)

I have purchased replacement parts on Ebay because originals are not available. I have 4 burners that are not simmer controlled i.e. they are on or off. They work fine.

The two simmer-controlled burners either won't light. I *have* replaced the front potentiometers.

Trouble is, I don't know how to test these two replacement electronics components to be sure they are working correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Turn the control knobs to the "HI" position one at a time. Check for 120 VAC across the corresponding input wire on the spark module and the spark module neural (N)

JeremyC1

Premium Member
Hi Rick. I have made progress but still have a problem. I cleaned the rotary pots (at front). Reassembled cooker top and front left simmer works great now. Rear back simmer has a strange buzzing, and there is barely any gas coming through. So I swapped the solenoids around, but same problem. Front left works, left back buzzes with little gas. I cannot work out what is buzzing, but I have to think it's the solenoid and since I swapped them, does that suggest the electronic signal to one for the left back is causing the buzz? Very odd. Is there anything else to check?

JeremyC1

Premium Member
The buzzing worried me so I turned the rotary dial to "off" very quickly. Which voltage are you referring to? To be clear, the spark is bright and large. It's the low gas flow and buzzing that worries me. It sounds like the solenoid, but I swapped them over and buzzing continues. What do you think?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
but I swapped them over and buzzing continues. What do you think?
If you don't have the correct voltage to the solenoid, swapping them won't make a difference. The one with the incorrect voltage will buzz. Trace the wires back until you find the source of the voltage. I don't have a wiring diagram.

JeremyC1

Premium Member
Great point. I see what you mean.
If we assume the voltage is not right (too low I presume), what could cause that? I would imagine it would be the rotary potentiometers on the front dials. Does that sound right? What else would cause a voltage (drop?)
Thanks